+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 459 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinning Today (Classical version)

MartinT Guest

Albeniz - Suite Espanola, Fruhbeck de Burgos, New Philharmonia [180g Speakers Corner]

At last I have my hands on it. This is FdB's orchestration of Albeniz' piano/guitar music. The orchestration is superb, very exciting and uplifting, and the playing is magnificent. The Decca recording is something else, with absolutely immense dynamics. I have very few classical LPs which match this one for sheer between-the-eyes impact. Good as the XRCD is, this LP leaves it for dead. The Speakers Corner pressing is a good one with silent surfaces.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by morris_minor View Post
    This morning a new arrival off the 'Bay:

Villa-Lobos - Bachianas Brasileiras 2,5,6,9: Paul Capolongo/Orchestre de Paris with Mady Mesple (HMV).
    Nice stuff, Bob. I like a lot of Villa-Lobos' music. I guess my faves are the string quartets - I have the full set on half a dozen or so Marco Polo CDs.

Also well worth looking out for "Forest of the Amazon" - a 72 minute long choral cantata-like thing. The recording I have (Consonance 81-0012) has Rene Fleming as the soprano soloist!

____

Of late at Jerry Towers ...

David Post - string quartets on a Naxos CD. really nice, echt string quartet sound. So what if the composer isn't dead yet!

Kamran Ince - 2nd symphony (Fall of Constantinople) - Naxos CD. Another composer who isn't dead. Blimey - fasten your seat belts - this guy likes to let it rip! Definitely, solidly tonal - but very percussive BIG orchestral. Wow.

Beethoven string quartet Op. 59/2. The Orford Quartet on a Delos CD. My fave of the (many) I have heard. I have the whole Delos set of the great man's quartets, it is uniformly wonderful, and the sound quality (recorded 1986-1994) is superb and captures the hall acoustic very convincingly.

Bruch 2nd violin concerto. Perlman on a CrO2 analog cassette. What lovely music - I've no idea why Bruch's 1st concerto dominates the appreciation of his output. He wrote some damn fine symphonies, too!

I'm Bob.

Hmm. David Post and Kamran Ince. Totally new names to me . Will have to find out more . .

I'm gone.

Yeah - I like to push the boundaries.

I'm gone.

Recently ...

Wagner - Siegried Idyll, Parsifal Good Friday Music - Bruno Walter - CBS LP (with a fair bit of equalisation ). What wonderful interpretations!

Karl Stamitz Viola concerto - Turnabout LP - Jorg Faerber and the Wurtemberger Chamber Orch. Baroque concerto .. well, verging on the classical, really. What a lovely slow mvt!

Today (so far) ...

Ronald Corp - Guernsey Postcards, Piano Concerto, 1st Symphony - Dutton CD. What fine music! See full review here

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Vaughan Williams
    Symphony No. 6 in E Minor / The Lark Ascending (Hugh Bean, violin)
    The New Philharmonia Orchestra / Sir Adrian Boult, cond.

Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by WOStantonCS100 View Post
    Vaughan Williams
    Symphony No. 6 in E Minor / The Lark Ascending (Hugh Bean, violin)
    The New Philharmonia Orchestra / Sir Adrian Boult, cond.
    Nice one Biff. To my mind Hugh Bean's "Lark ..." has never been bettered. I bought this disc when it was first released, then traded it in for the box set of all the Boult/RVW Syms when it was available (in 1972 I think). Some prefer Boult's earlier Decca cycle, but having grown up with this one I remain loyal to it. The classic Kingsway Hall sound is a great bonus too (the odd Tube train not withstanding ).

I'm Philip.

L. van Beethoven - Symphony No.9

Conductor: Herbert von Karajan
    Berliner Philharmoniker

Main Sys. N.A.S DAIS; 12" Ace Space , Benz Micro Wood SL, Timesteep T-01MC, Quad Platinum DMP, Quad Platinum Pre, FM4,Quad Platinum Stereo, Quad ESL 63, PRC4 RCM, Chord XLR, Mark Grant G1000HD, Black Mamba's. Stax SRM600 SR507
    AVCambridge audio Blu-ray player, Pioneer SC-LX 57 Front 2 channels switched into Quad 606 Powering the ESL63s. Rear powering Celestion Speakers, LFE 2 cheap subwoffers.
    Man-cave Sys. A. GL75, RB300, ZYX R100H, Rega Planer 3, RB200, Rega Carbon Elys II,Quad 34, 606, Tangent RS4.
    Man-cave Sys. B. Revox A77, Akai 400D, Sugdon A48II, JPW Monitors.
    Gallery http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=341
    Classic Sys. Garrard 301, SME M2-9R, Benz Micro Wood SL, Quad Vena, 303, FM3, AM3. ESL 57. Quad II, 22, FM2 Rega Planet. Rega Phono
    Gallery http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=403
    Headphones, Stax SR507 (x2) /SRM600 Limited, Sennhieser HD424, Sennhieser HD558, AKGK105UHF, Beyerdynamic DT 931, Beyerdynamic DT231, Etymotic ER4 micropro.

I'm gone.

Of late -

A very beautiful post-romantic violin concerto by Carlo Giorgio Garofalo. Italian 1886-1962 - a contemporary-ish of Respighi. On a Naxos CD. Half an hour long - it's gorgeous! I'm having a bit more trouble getting into his 40 minute Romantic Symphony which is also on the disc, but 'm sure I'll get there!

MartinT Guest

Vivaldi - Gloria, Preston, AAM, Choir of Christ Church Cathedral Oxford, L'Oiseau Lyre [vinyl]

I'd forgotten I had this on vinyl (I have the CD too). One of my desert island discs. Part II (Et in terra pax) is to die for as is the recording.

+ Reply to Thread