+ Reply to Thread
Page 412 of 459 FirstFirst ... 312362402410411412413414422 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,120 of 4584

Thread: Spinning Today (Classical version)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Andrés Segovia – ‘The Complete 1949 London Recordings’

(Testament SBT - 1043 (1994))
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What did you think of the Ligeti - 'Lux Æterna'?
    This reminded me of the music used in Space Odyssey 2001 when they are at the Obolisque on the moon, is it from the same composer?
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    This reminded me of the music used in Space Odyssey 2001 when they are at the Obolisque on the moon, is it from the same composer?
    Yes it is. I would recommend you try to listen to some of his other work - it's not all 'spacy'.

Musica Ricercata (1951-3) No.1, Pierre-Laurent Aimard (piano), Sony SK 62308.

Continuum (1968), Elisabeth Chojnacka (harpsichord), Wergo WER 6905-2.

Three pieces for two pianos (1976) No. 1 and 2, Fredrick Ullen (pianos),BIS BIS-CD-1684.

Study No. 1 (Harmonies-1967), Zsigmond Szathmary (organ), Sony SK 62307.

Piano Etudes (Book 1-1985), Pierre-Laurent Aimard (piano), Sony SK 62308.

Sonata for solo viola (1991-4), Nobuko Imai, BIS BIS-CD-1379/1380.

String Quartet No. 2 (1968), La Salle Quartet, DG 474 327-2.

Chamber Concerto (1965-70), Ensemble die Reihe, Wein, Friedrich Cerha (cond.), Wergo WER 6903-2.

Horn Trio, Saschko Gawriloff (violin), Herman Bauman (horn), Eckart Besch (piano), Wergo WER 6905-2.

Poem Symphonique for 100 Metronomes (1962), Francoise Terrious, Sony SK 62310.

Lontano (1967), Vienna Philharmonic, Claudio Abbado (cond.), DG 429 260-2.

Melodien (1971), Schoenberg Ensemble, Reinbert de Leeuw, Teldec 8573-83953-2.

San Francisco Polyphony (1973-4), Berlin Philharmonic, Jonathon Nott (cond.), Teldec 8573-88261-2.

Piano Concerto, Pierre-Laurent Aimard (piano), Asko Ensemble, Reinbert de Leeuw (cond.), Teldec 8573-83953-3.

Car Horn Prelude (Le Grand Macabre 1974-7, revised 1996), Philharmonia Orchestra, Esa-Pekka Salonen (cond.), Sony SK 62312.

Nouvelles Adventures (1962-5), Phyllis Bryn-Julsons (soprano), Rose Taylor (contralto), Omar Ebrahmim (baritone), Esa-Pekka Salonen (cond.), Sony SK 62311.

Clocks and Clouds (1973), Cappella Amsterdam, Asko Schoenberg Ensemble, Reinbert de Leeuw (cond.), Teldec 8573-87631-2.

Lux Aeterna (1966), London Sinfonietta Voices, Terry Edwards (cond.), Sony SK 62305.

Requiem (1963-5), Hessian Radio Symphony Orchestra, Michael Gielen (cond.), Wergo 60045-50.

Suspect that most, if not all, are now only available on CD. Some of the Wergo recordings used to be available on vinyl, for example:
    Last edited by Barry; 01-03-2020 at 21:55. Reason: Discography added
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Thanks Barry, that’s very kind of you to go to so much bother, I have copied the discography and will hunt them out, probably through streaming, if I can find them.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

Richard Strauss - 'Also Sprach Zarathustra Op.30'

Berlin Philharmoniker, cond. Karl Böhm.
    DGG SLPEM 136 001 (1959)
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Enjoying this greatly using the Ortofon OM/40 Stylus and thought the Wilson Benesch Vectors, lots of detail and depth to it all.

Unfortunately I am missing the 1st LP from this boxed set of 3, I picked it up for £1 a couple of years ago, shame as it is an excellent recording and the two I have a NM. I might try and see if I can get a complete set.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - The Academy Of Ancient Music ‎– The Symphonies (Salzburg 1773-1775)
    Label: L'Oiseau-Lyre ‎– D170D3
    Series: Florilegium Series –
    Format: 3 × Vinyl, LP
    Box Set Country: UK & Europe
    Released: 1980

Symphony In D Major K.186b [K.202] (25:09)
    C1 I. Molto Allegro 8:55
    C2 II. Andantino Con Moto 5:42
    C3 III. Menuetto & Trio 5:04
    C4 IV. Presto 5:16
    Symphony In D Major K.189b [K.203] (28:11)
    D1 I. Andante Maestoso — Allegro Assai 8:02
    D2 II. Andante 7:48
    D3 III. Menuetto & Trio 5:29
    D4 IV. Prestissimo

I'm Adrian.

This is a wonderful piece full of variety, masses of dynamics and some beautiful passages. I am really enjoying this on the WB Vectors as well, it seems their sense of clarity and openness really allows the music to shine through.

Mahler* - Jascha Horenstein, Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra* ‎– Symphony No 6 In A Minor / Jascha Horenstein Reminisces To Alan Blyth
    Label: Unicorn Records (3) ‎– RHS 320-1, Unicorn Records (3) ‎– RHS 320/1
    Format: 2 × Vinyl, LP, Album, Repress, Gatefold
    Genre: Classical

I'm Adrian.

Mendelssohn* And Bruch* - Ruggiero Ricci ‎– The World Of The Great Classics Vol.3 - Violin Concertos
    Label: Decca ‎– SPA.88, Decca ‎– SPA 88
    Series: The World Of (3) –
    Format: Vinyl, LP, Stereo, Silver Label Text / Label Variant

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Enjoying this greatly using the Ortofon OM/40 Stylus and thought the Wilson Benesch Vectors, lots of detail and depth to it all.

Unfortunately I am missing the 1st LP from this boxed set of 3, I picked it up for £1 a couple of years ago, shame as it is an excellent recording and the two I have a NM. I might try and see if I can get a complete set.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - The Academy Of Ancient Music ‎– The Symphonies (Salzburg 1773-1775)
    Label: L'Oiseau-Lyre ‎– D170D3
    Series: Florilegium Series –
    Format: 3 × Vinyl, LP
    Box Set Country: UK & Europe
    Released: 1980

Symphony In D Major K.186b [K.202](25:09)
    C1I. Molto Allegro8:55
    C2II. Andantino Con Moto5:42
    C3III. Menuetto & Trio5:04
    C4IV. Presto5:16
    Symphony In D Major K.189b [K.203](28:11)
    D1I. Andante Maestoso — Allegro Assai8:02
    D2II. Andante7:48
    D3III. Menuetto & Trio5:29
    D4IV. Prestissimo

I love the raw sharp sound of the gut strings in these early AAM recordings. The tempi were pretty fast too IIRC, exciting performances that pull you along with them.

Recomposed by Max Richter - The Four Seasons

DGG/Decca (2012)
    Antonio Vivaldi wrote the four violin concertos known as Le quattro stagioni. Today The Four Seasons may be the most widely heard piece of classical music ever composed. Max Richter, the award-winning British composer who has written concert music, film scores, and a series of acclaimed solo albums, has rewritten The Four Seasons with stunning results. Richter’s co-conspirators on Vivaldi Recomposed are Daniel Hope, the British violinist; the German conductor André de Ridder; and the Konzerthaus Kammerorchester Berlin.

This is a wonderful 'recomposition' of Vivaldi's 'Four Seasons'. It stands up there with the Drottingholm Consort's version (a straight reading but using original instruments), as well as the version on Decca Argo, by Neville Marriner and The Academy of St Martin in the Fields.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread