+ Reply to Thread
Page 382 of 459 FirstFirst ... 282332372380381382383384392432 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,820 of 4584

Thread: Spinning Today (Classical version)

I'm gone.

Yes, excellent pianist and great Bach player.

Try this one for something a little different ... well, OK, quite a lot different from track 2!

https://open.spotify.com/album/2SpKH...Q9CV4VlMDc7QSw

Last edited by jandl100; 19-02-2019 at 16:33.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Yes, excellent pianist and great Bach player.

Try this one for something a little different ... well, OK, quite a lot different from track 2!

https://open.spotify.com/album/2SpKH...Q9CV4VlMDc7QSw

Yes I listened to this the other day, not nearly so keen on it!

I'm Adrian.

Well AoS member came to listen to my speakers yesterday and brought a bunch of CD's and his amp (very nice valve amp).

I was rather taken by this piece of music, he actually gave me it as he has several versions of it, most kind. tHe is considering whether to have my speakers.

I have rather surprised myself as choral work is not usually my bag, the occasion Gregorian Chant maybe, however this by Carlo Gesualdo I find rather stunning. The Tallis Scholars perform it beautifully in Walpole St Peters, Norfolk. The vocal interplay and tricks are lovely. To me it sounds as if just two microphones were used position just above and in front of the performers, the ambience of the church certainly comes through.

If you like choral works and have not heard this then it is well worth a listen, after all if it did get the attention of an old rocker like me it must be good.

Carlo Gesualdo - The Tallis Scholars Directed By Peter Phillips (2) ‎– Tenebrae Responsories For Holy Saturday
    Label: Gimell ‎– CDGIM 015
    Format: CD, Album
    Released: 1987
    Genre: Classical
    Style: Renaissance
    Recorded At – Walpole St Peter, Norfolk
    Glass Mastered At – Nimbus

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Lawrence.

The Tallis Scholars were at the pinnacle of early choral music performance when I was at school, I wonder how their stunning recordings on Gimmel stand up now to more recent fare.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    The Tallis Scholars were at the pinnacle of early choral music performance when I was at school, I wonder how their stunning recordings on Gimmel stand up now to more recent fare.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    I would have thought pretty well, I don’t see how you could improve them, changing them or trying to interpret in a different way I think it would not work somehow.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Adrian.

Having another listen to this lovely piece of music.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    This is a marvellous piece of music and beautifully played, I have this and two of the other Richard Strauss recordings by Fabio Luisi and they are all stunning.

Well worth getting

Richard Strauss / Staatskapelle Dresden, Fabio Luisi, Anja Harteros ‎– Eine Alpensinfonie • Vier Letzte Lieder
    Label: Sony Classical ‎– 88697141972
    Format: SACD, Hybrid, Multichannel, Album, DSD
    Released: 2007
    Style: Neo-Romantic

the other to are

Richard Strauss, Fabio Luisi, Staatskapelle Dresden ‎– Ein Heldenleben / Metamorphosen
    Label: Sony Classical ‎– 88697084712

Richard Strauss - Don Juan Aus Italien - Don Chisciotte (2 Cd).https://www.amazon.co.uk/Richard-Str...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A couple of LPs picked up in a charity shop, in excellent condition for £1:

Bruckner – ‘String Quintet in F major

Amadeus Quartet DGG 138 963 (1965)

Rather enjoyed this. Until now I was only familiar with Bruckner’s late symphonies.

Carl Nielsen – ‘String Quartets Nos. 2 & 3’

Decca Turnabout TV 34109DS (1968)

Always find Nielsen a bit of a challenge, and these are no different. Preferred the 3rd to the 2nd, but that was on first listening. It deserves further listening.
    Barry

I'm gone.

An "event" on 4th Feb this year, where Chinese spy network Huawei (oops, sorry, I mean mobile phone and communications company) collaborated with composer and musicians to complete Schubert's 8th symphony.

From what I can gather, the Huawei AI chip invented some themes based on the 1st 2 completed movements and sketches for the last two and the composer guy orchestrated them into complete movements.

This YouTube vid was clearly taken by an audience member.
    The music starts around 5m00s.

https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/campa...5_SU_GLOB_TEIN

I'm gone.

I'm Adrian.

Beethoven* / Karajan*, Berliner Philharmoniker ‎– 9 Symphonien
    Label: Deutsche Grammophon ‎– 2740 172
    Format: Box Set 8 × Vinyl, LP
    Released: 1977

Symphony number 3

+ Reply to Thread