+ Reply to Thread
Page 429 of 459 FirstFirst ... 329379419427428429430431439 ... LastLast
Results 4,281 to 4,290 of 4584

Thread: Spinning Today (Classical version)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Franz Berwald

New to me and well worth the punt for 50p. Think I'll try and seek out some more of his work.
    Barry

Jean-Marie Leclair - 'Eight Sonatas for Flute and Continuo', Volume 1

L'Oiseau Lyre OLS 150 (1972, but original recording Decca 1957)

Again new to me. Interesting, but I quickly tired of them as they sounded too similar to me to warrant much attention.

Listening to Volume 2 didn't change my mind.

L'Oiseau Lyre OLS 151 (1972, as for Volume 1)
    Barry

'Musique Royale'

The London Fesival Symphony Orchestra, cond. Thomas Greene

'Lollipops' from Handel, Purcell, Gluck and Boyce.

Musidisc, Gravure Universelle Stereo, Collection Richesse Classique: RC 849 (date not recorded).
    Barry

Sibelius - 'Symphony no.3 in C major, Op. 52 (1907)' and 'Violin Concerto in D minor, Op. 47 (1903 -1905)'

Philharmonia Orchestra, cond. Paul Kletzki (Symphony No.3)

The Stockholm Festival Orchestra, cond. Sixten Ehrling (Violin Concerto, David Oistrakh (violin)).

Angel Records 35315 (Mercure Éditeur, Paris) Recorded in Europe, pressed in U.S.A. (again no date of the recording).

Monophonic, but an excellent recording on a nice thick and heavy piece of vinyl, with a nice thick cardboard sleeve to match.
    Barry

Vivaldi - 'Le Quattro Stagioni'

The English Consort, dir. Trevor Pinnock.

Archiv 2534 003 (1982)

Played on period instruments, this recording comes a close second to that by the Drottingholm Consort.
    Barry

Ariosa Quartet - 'Dvorak - String Quartet no. 12 in F, Op.96' and 'Bartok - String Quartet no.1 in A minor, Op.7'

Hanna Bowers (first violin)
    Mathilde Milwidsky (second violin)
    Sophia Dignam (viola)
    Ariana Kashefi (cello)

Picked up in a charity shop, mint and still sealed in the cellophane wrapping. You won't find any information about this quartet on the web (not even the redoubtable 'Discogs').

All I can tell you is what is written in the sleeve notes:

The Quartet was formed at South Hampstead High School and has been playing since 2002.

The recording was made by Geoff Foster (there is no recording number, so the recording was made privately and is probably of limited numbers). The sleeve notes are dated London, September 2009.

Like all newly-formed quartets that only have had a few years of playing together, there is an excitement and verve to the playing which I find quite refreshing. I hope they are still playing together and have developed the subtle understanding and interplay between themselves that the established and more famous string quartets display.
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Picked up up this Decca recording about a week ago for £3 in the Hospice Care warehouse, it was rather dirty and needed a clean which I have just got round to, turns out it looks minty, occasional crackle so I think another scrub in the ultrasonic bath should should do it.

I already have 2 other recordings of Mahler's Symphony No 5, one by Rafael Kubelik & the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, the other Claudio Abbado & Chicago Symphony Orchestra. I think I prefer this recording/rendition, it seems to have more depth and emotion to how it is presented, but maybe I am talking rubbish.

Mahler* – Chicago Symphony Orchestra* • Georg Solti • Yvonne Minton – Symphony No. 5 In C Minor / Songs From "Des Knaben Wunderhorn"
    Label: Decca – SET 471-2
    Format: 2 x Vinyl, LP, Stereo Box Set
    Released: 1970

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Solti's reading is better IMO, but I'm not a big Mahler fan.
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Ariosa Quartet - 'Dvorak - String Quartet no. 12 in F, Op.96' and 'Bartok - String Quartet no.1 in A minor, Op.7'

Hanna Bowers (first violin)
    Mathilde Milwidsky (second violin)
    Sophia Dignam (viola)
    Ariana Kashefi (cello)

Picked up in a charity shop, mint and still sealed in the cellophane wrapping. You won't find any information about this quartet on the web (not even the redoubtable 'Discogs').

All I can tell you is what is written in the sleeve notes:

The Quartet was formed at South Hampstead High School and has been playing since 2002.

The recording was made by Geoff Foster (there is no recording number, so the recording was made privately and is probably of limited numbers). The sleeve notes are dated London, September 2009.

Like all newly-formed quartets that only have had a few years of playing together, there is an excitement and verve to the playing which I find quite refreshing. I hope they are still playing together and have developed the subtle understanding and interplay between themselves that the established and more famous string quartets display.
    Interesting one, Barry... I also approve of your other selections above, and indeed own some of them myself. I particularly like the Sibelius

If you're into lesser known composers, are you aware of the work of Carl Heinrich Graun? If not, have a listen to this as an example and see what you think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg2givgOUOk

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Another lesser known composer you may be unaware of is Alfredo Casella, who was also a conductor and pianist. Just been listening to this, which is rather good:

From the BBC Music Magazine:

"[A notte alta] has a dark beauty and some striking sonorities. Martin Roscoe is the exquisite soloist here, and this atmospheric performance should win new friends for a work that is among Casella's best...Noseda and the BBC Philharmonic capture the verve and spirit of Casella's oft-changing music".

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread