+ Reply to Thread
Page 419 of 459 FirstFirst ... 319369409417418419420421429 ... LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,190 of 4584

Thread: Spinning Today (Classical version)

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It might be that Lawrence doesn't like the sound of period instruments.

Good find BTW Adrian.
    No I love period instruments I can't bear hearing baroque music on modern instruments, especially with overuse of vibrato (which is almost any ). Or classical for that matter, probably up to Haydn quartets or even Beethoven.

I'm not sure if it was the Four Seasons but I've got a couple of their recordings on BIS and they just don't sound right to me. Definitely at least one Vivaldi. I'll have a look when I'm up north next time.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I would imagine that like most here, I heard Beethoven played by 20th century orchestras using modern instruments; and very enjoyable they are. I particularly like Furtwangler's readings who was not 'hide bound' when it came to following the time markings. But they too use 'modern' instruments.

Orchestras were evolving in Beethoven's time with some instruments being little changed from the baroque style, but others starting to change to the modern style we have today. So I wondered what Beethoven's symphonies would sound like if played on 'period' instruments, and was delighted to find that John Eliot Gardiner had done such with the Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/14/a...-carnegie.html

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/...n-symphonies-5

DGG Archiv 4778643

I love these recordings as much as I love those by Furwangler.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

I like some modern classical, can be a tough one to really bring a full symphony to life though! Listened to Shostakovich Symphony no.13 earlier, could have been better to be honest, I think the AN Js are more suited to small group music.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Oh, look what arrived today, it was recommended to me, very lucky NM find at a sensible price from Canada. Particularly enjoying this rendition and an excellent recording.Barry, thanks for the recommendation Barry

Antonio Vivaldi, Nils-Erik Sparf, The Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble* ‎– The Four Seasons
    Label:
    BIS ‎– LP-275, BIS ‎– BIS-LP-275
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, DMM
    Sweden
    Released:
    Jan 1985

Winter is my favourite of Vivaldis 4 Seasons. quite different from the one - Spring? You always hear on the radio, well Classic FM anyway.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Winter is my favourite of Vivaldis 4 Seasons. quite different from the one - Spring? You always hear on the radio, well Classic FM anyway.
    It’s all good IMO, Winter evokes slipping, sliding and falling on ice with icy wind blowing from the poem that inspired it, and the other seasons.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Adrian.

Liszt* - Bernard Haitink, London Philharmonic Orchestra* ‎– Symphonic Poems "Prometheus", "Mephisto" Waltz No. 1, "Héroide Funèbre"
    Label: Philips ‎– 6500 190
    Format: Vinyl, LP

W.A. Mozart*, Jean-Jacques Kantorow, Bournemouth Sinfonietta, Theodor Guschlbauer ‎– Deux Concertos Pour Violon
    Label: Erato ‎– STU 70709
    Format: Vinyl, LP

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Jo.

Messiaen: Vingt Regards Sur L'Enfant Jesus, Osborne, Hyperion ALAC download, warming up for the Loriod reading on CDs which is in the post.

I'm Mike.

I like this one, makes me feel EPIC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klPZIGQcrHA

I'm Adrian.

When I was younger I would not have given classical piano music the time of day, but now I find it very listenable, strange ho things change. I believe Wilhelm Kempff is recognised as one of the greatest pianists for all time, lots of feeling on this recording.

Franz Liszt - Wilhelm Kempff ‎– A Liszt Recital : Deux Légendes / Années De Pèlerinage
    Label: Decca Eclipse ‎– ECS 611
    Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo
    Released: 1972

Deux Légendes
    A1 St. Francois D'Assise. La Prédication Aux Oiseaux
    A2 St. Francois De Paule Marchant Sur Les Flots
    Années De Pèlerinage (First Year-Switzerland)
    A3 Eclogue
    A4 Au Lac De Wallenstadt
    A5 Au Bord D'un Source
    Années De Pèlerinage (Second Year-Italy)
    B1 Il Penseroso
    B2 Canzonetta Di Salvator Rosa
    B3 Gondoliera
    B4 Sonetto 47 Del Petrarca
    B5 Sonetto 104 Del Petrarca
    B6 Sonetto 123 Del Petrarca

I'm Adrian.

Dukas* / Ravel* / Ibert* - Charles Munch, Boston Symphony Orchestra ‎– Bolero / La Valse / The Sorcerer´s Apprentice / Escales
    Label: RCA Victrola ‎– VICS 1323
    Format: Vinyl, LP, Stereo
    Released: 1968

+ Reply to Thread