+ Reply to Thread
Page 401 of 459 FirstFirst ... 301351391399400401402403411451 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,010 of 4584

Thread: Spinning Today (Classical version)

I'm gone.

Ungh.
    Sublimely poetic live readings of Beethoven's last 3 piano sonatas by Leonskaja.

I'm Ivo.

Janine Jansen plays Bach
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pioneer:
    PLC-590, RT-909, 707, CT-F1250, 900, 750, 700, T-C3, P-D1, TX-7800,
    U-24, SR-303, SG-9800, SA-7800, SX-750, DT-400, HPM-100
    Nakamichi: DRAGON, BX300e, BX125, BX 1, CD4

I'm gone.

A superb set of the complete Beethoven piano sonatas.
    The last 4 - opp 106 & 109-111 - are especially tumultuous, wonderful.

Interesting that the relatively unknown Maria Grinberg was chosen by Russia's state label, Melodiya, as their one and only (as far as I can make out) complete set - when you think of the roster of astonishing Russian pianists they could have called on.
    But listen, and you'll hear why!
    Staggering performances in clear if slightly steely sound. But the steeliness may well lie in the strength of her fingers!

https://open.spotify.com/album/77wLkfKUvkeHnjTyVcgI6e

montesquieu Guest

Funnily enough Damian Thompson wrote about this set in The Spectator recently I was planning to look them up. Thanks for saving the effort!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Funnily enough Damian Thompson wrote about this set in The Spectator recently I was planning to look them up. Thanks for saving the effort!
    Ah, interesting - what did he have to say about the set?

montesquieu Guest

Not sure if you can get access without a subscription but it was an interesting piece:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/...aria-grinberg/

Why did the Soviets not want us to know about the pianist Maria Grinberg?

She was one of only four women to record the complete Beethoven piano sonatas but the state kept her in obscurity

Only four women pianists have recorded complete cycles of the Beethoven piano sonatas: Maria Grinberg, Annie Fischer, H. J. Lim and Mari Kodama. I’ve written before about the chain-smoking ‘Ashtray Annie’ Fischer: she was a true poet of the piano and her Beethoven sonatas are remarkably penetrating — as, alas, is the sound of her beaten-up Bösendorfer. Lim produced her cycle in a hurry when she was just 24; it’s engaging but breathless. Kodama’s set, just completed, is a bit polite.

Which leaves Maria Grinberg (1908–78), whose recordings remain just where the Soviet authorities wanted them. In obscurity. That is shameful — and not because she was the first woman and the first Russian to record all the sonatas. (In those days Jews from Odessa in Ukraine counted as Russians.) This is an unforgettable cycle. Unforgettable, that is, in the unlikely event that you’ve heard it.

Grinberg’s insights linger in the mind even if you don’t particularly like what she’s doing. In the finale of the Moonlight, for example, the chords at the top of the arpeggios would drown out a tractor factory. But elsewhere in the movement the treble melts away to reveal the ingenuity below the stave.

That’s a Grinberg hallmark. She balances voices to shift the listener’s perspective. I kept hearing dotted rhythms and crossed hands that I’d failed to pick up in other performances. The lower octaves ring out with unusual clarity. Perhaps that’s something to do with the fact that, as a young woman, Grinberg lost her state-funded job as a pianist and worked as an orchestral timpanist.

No one communicated better the polyphonic sweetness of late Beethoven. Listen to the mini-motet that precedes the final storm in the fugue of the Hammerklavier. Grinberg plays it with glowing serenity; for a moment we could be in the Sistine Chapel.

Why is she forgotten? Her problem wasn’t just that she was Jewish but, from the point of view of the authorities, that she was the wrong sort of Jew. Her father and husband had been executed by Stalin as enemies of the state. The shadow never lifted.

Admittedly, there was really no such thing as the right sort of Jew in the Soviet Union. If Jews had to be anything, then the authorities were reasonably happy for them to be musicians. Like the Nazis, the Soviets used top-flight orchestras as tools of propaganda. Unlike them, they couldn’t maintain standards of performance without Jews.

Nearly half the professional musicians in Russia were Jewish, as were an even higher proportion of virtuoso soloists, including the violinists David Oistrakh and Leonid Kogan, the pianists Emil Gilels and Lazar Berman and the cellist Daniil Shafran. When they travelled abroad they were watched by the KGB. (Well, maybe not Kogan: as Norman Lebrecht revealed in The Spectator, but his Wiki entry fails to mention, he was a Soviet spook who kept tabs on his brother-in-law Gilels.)

The Kremlin could never forget that it had lost Vladimir Horowitz and Jascha Heifetz, both Russian Jews who dazzled from the United States. When Berman’s international career was at its height, he was suddenly banished to the provinces (but he defected anyway). Even the mighty Gilels was kept at home if the Soviet Union was sulking about what it always called ‘Israeli aggression’.

The model Jewish virtuoso left Russia to win a big international competition, coming straight back after attracting headlines that mentioned his citizenship but not his background. Few things annoyed the Soviets more than references to Russian-Jewish identity; every other ethnic group was expected to parade its musical heritage, but Jews did so at their peril. No klezmer encores, please, and no Hebrew melodies in compositions. The non-Jewish Shostakovich was playing with fire when he ignored Russian folk traditions and returned obsessively to melancholy Jewish ones.

This ridiculous cat-and-mouse game was played at every level, though with varying degrees of cruelty. Sometimes the logic was hard to follow, and especially so in the case of Maria Grinberg.

Her historic Beethoven LPs were produced by the state label Melodiya, yet when they appeared in 1970 the Soviet press wrote not a word abut them. Towards the end of her life she was allowed to give a handful of concerts in the Netherlands, but that was it. When she died, aged 69, the authorities couldn’t decide whether she should be honoured or ignored. They settled for a mixture of both.

Perhaps her mistake was failing to criticise Israel, which several more celebrated Jewish musicians were arm-twisted into doing. On the contrary: in 1967, when ‘aggressive’ Israel humiliated its Soviet-allied neighbours, Maria Israelyevna Grinberg took to introducing herself as ‘Maria Aggressorovna’.

Not until 2012 did Melodiya get round to issuing Grinberg’s Beethoven sonatas as a CD boxed set. It has already disappeared from Amazon. Some things don’t change. Fortunately they found their way on to Spotify, and many other recordings — including an exultant Brahms First Piano Concerto — have surfaced on YouTube. Is it too much to hope that the internet will finally lift her out of the shadows?

I'm gone.

Thanks for that, Tom.

I'm gone.

Interesting organ concerto by Howard Hanson, in fact the whole album is enjoyable.

https://open.spotify.com/album/157TU8AeZ9ZFP0reGnhOOM

I'm Adrian.

A relaxing start this morning, great recordings

Symphony No.30 In D Major, K.202
    Academy of Ancient Music directed by Jaap Schroder, concertmaster, and Christopher Hogwood, harpsichord continuo, original recording from L'Oiseau-Lyre Records

and Symphony No.31 In D Major, K.297 (Paris)

Klassosche Philharmonie, Stuttgart, Karl Münchinger conductor.

Both are very good IMSO

Mozart*, Various ‎– The Late Symphonies
    Label: Time Life Records ‎– STL-M02
    Series: Mozart – STL-M02
    Format: 5 × Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Box Set
    Released: 1979
    Genre: Classical

Last edited by AJSki2fly; 20-09-2019 at 12:53.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm gone.

^ Who's the conductor / orchestra on that set, Adrian?

+ Reply to Thread