+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One box streamer

I'm massimiliano.

Default One box streamer

Hello,
    I'm new here, so please be gentle with me :-)
    I'm looking a one-box streamer to use in my main system, headphones based.
    Right now, I'm using a Linux MPD server, with internal storage, connected to a Havana dac using a Halide Bridge USB/SPDIF converter.
    I use MPOD to control MPD and browse my library.

I like the sound of the system, but it's not entirely handy.
    I mean, I'm still dealing with a PC, OS and packages upgrades...Also the network drivers of my motherboard are not entirely stable under Linux, so sometimes I have to disconnect the network cable and reconnect it.
    The same server using Windows 7 doesn't sound as good as using Voyage MPD, unfortunately. Not a huge difference, but it's there.

I'm also using a Onkyo ND-S1 digital dock to the same dac, I like its convenience but the MPD server (and the Halide Bridge) still sounds better.
    Also it doesn't support hi-res, but that's not a big deal, as my dac only supports 16 bit length word.

I don't want (or I would not like) a PC in my listening area, or a NAS always on.

The Squeezebox touch requires an external server to run the server software (and possibly a storage) and an external dac to sound at its best. I can't see any advantages over the solution I'm currently using.

So, here I'm asking for your recommendations :-)

Ideally it should be a single box solution for transport and source (like an integrated CD player), not computer based. Something like a Linn DS, or something with a USB where to connect an external driver, with a network interface to control the playlist with my iPhone.

I can't understand the quality of the Linn DS system from reviews I read.
    I could afford a Majik, but some say it doesn't sound any better than a Sonos + DacMagic (and I really don't like the sound of that dac!), some say it's one of the best sources under £3K. Also, I never listened to a Linn source and I don't know what to expect (bright? analytical? "musical"?)

And then there's Naim...again I never listened to their source...

Maybe Oppo BD-95...but will it sound any better than my current dac? I'll be using some Stax 507, so the last thing I want is a bright source.
    Are those Marantz or Yamaha streamer any good?

I can see the advantage of a network solution, instead of a 2 boxes one (transport + dac), not having to deal with SPDIF protocol and jitter, but in that case the internal DAC has to sound very well and matches the rest of the rig.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm John.

Hello Massimiliano

I don’t know where to start really. Not to put too finer point on it, basically you’re stuffed.
    However, it looks like you’re a decent way down the file audio road and have not done any of the usual detours.
    There are one box commercially available solutions, Bryston does one for example. However, if you’ve got to the point where you understand the shortfalls of the Logitech Touch and believe you can hear the difference between Win7 and Linux Voyage MPD and, you’ve got yourself sorted with an asynchronous USB to SPDIF interface then I doubt the Bryston offering is going to tick many of your boxes.

I would steer well clear of the single box offerings from Linn and the like.
    This is a step in the right direction I think.
    http://www.auraliti.com/

From my investigations for my own music server build project I think you’re pretty much stuck with an external Dac and some form of computer if you want excellent audio unless you’re prepared to build something yourself, so you have my empathy. The audio business it seems was woefully unprepared for hi quality file based playback and I believe it will be some time before a one box solution giving the kind of flexibility and audio quality you are after, and used to, will hit the market.

I did have visions of eventually marketing what a friend and I are building but its all getting way too expensive for a commercially marketable product. So far just the components are running above £1000 and that’s hand building the USB, processor and general power supplies.

You could of course look at changing to an asynchronous Dac to do away with the Halide Bridge and just opting for USB only data transfer.

My advice in short, you’re probably already getting better audio quality than many using file based audio, smile and enjoy it or get building.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm massimiliano.

Thanks for your reply Welder.

It's not that I hate computers, I actually work with them, but I know their drawbacks.
    The good thing of the Halide is that is a wire, so it's not another box, and I choose it because I like good sound AND convenience.
    And thanks for the suggestion about the Linn...I kind of knew it but wanted a confirm.

The auraliti (PK90) is somehow similar to my current solution, in a fancy box.
    Voyage MPD, with clean USB output, with storage through attached USB drive...fanless and silent.
    I'm using a Atom based motherboard, it's fanless and probably more silent because of the internal storage. But I'm sure their solution is highly optimized and probably will sound better.

As for the differences between Windows 7 and Linux, I had no blind test and I may biased towards the Linux solution, because it's a dedicated box, with only MPD, SSH and a light web server running.
    But I definitely like it more than Windows because keyboard and monitor aren't needed, and I can SSH from my iPhone.

So it seems I should invest on a better dac...
    I read good things about the M2Tech Young, but it doesn't work with Linux, and it seems pointless using an asynch usb/spdif converter if the DAC has a very very good USB implementation (it sounds better through USB than coax).

This rules out one of the best DAC available at a reasonable price.

The Weiss DAC2 is another option, but requires a Mac mini, Pure Music or Amarra. That's definitely more than 2K.

Many of the new DACs are using the Sabre chip, but I'm not sure I'll like them. The Havana has a 'romantic' sound signature, kinda unique.

I think you're right...I'm stuffed :-(

I'm NoLongerActive.

You might go the streaming way.
    Linn DS is an example, a real time Linux (Rterm) and a UPnP server.
    You might buy a music server, one who does it all, ripping, tagging, playback
    http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/HD_players.html

Most of them (as you probably guessed) are boxes dressed up as audio gear but inside it is a computer running Linux most of the time.
    You probably better stick to Linux/MPD

A bit surprised to hear M2Tech Young doesn’t work with Linux.
    They probably use some none native mode drivers.
    Recent Linux support USB audio class 2 allowing for > 24/96.
    Maybe an asynchronous USB DAC is your best bet.
    http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_DAC_Async.htm

I'm massimiliano.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Kars View Post
    A bit surprised to hear M2Tech Young doesn’t work with Linux.
    They probably use some none native mode drivers.
    Recent Linux support USB audio class 2 allowing for > 24/96.
    Maybe an asynchronous USB DAC is your best bet.
    http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_DAC_Async.htm
    Thanks Vincent.
    I'm just guessing about the Young, is it not using the same USB implementation of the hiface?

I'm John.

If you are considering a change of Dac then perhaps one of the offerings from Ayre or Wavelength might fit the bill, although I have heard from people whose judgment I trust that the Havana is a very pleasant Dac to listen to.

It’s a real problem at your level of file based audio. Many of the changes are apparently so small that in my experience at least, it’s only after extended listening and a return to a previous configuration that one realises that a change has actually taken place. Then of course you have to decide whether or not you prefer the change

I have a Sabre chip in the Buffalo, tbh it’s the only good thing about the Dac although one isn’t supposed to say ones own kit is anything less than perfect I gather

Basically the rest of the Dac leaves a lot to be desired, especially regarding the input side; I can live with the standard output stage, just.
    I’m hard pressed in deciding whether to throw money or hammers at it

I think the improvements you might appreciate may come in “adjusting” the board and power supplies in your current server, but that wont unfortunately address your original one box solution.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm massimiliano.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    I think the improvements you might appreciate may come in “adjusting” the board and power supplies in your current server, but that wont unfortunately address your original one box solution.
    Bingo! That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid!!
    I'm (or better, was) thinking of changing the PSU and use a PicoPSU with external AC adapter, a PCI card for the USB output, and I already have a SOTM Sata filter between the sata port and the drive (it makes no difference in sound, btw).
    I bought the Pico PSU, but there's some kind of incompatibility (again) with my motherboard, so I'm still using the stock one.
    Honestly, I'm sick of those things, and I just want to play music, that's why I'm using the Onkyo dock with upgraded PSU.

I could try to change the motherboard, given the problems I'm facing with the network and the PSU, but infos are scarce, and find the right motherboard might be difficult. Again, the Auraliti PK90 could be the way to go.

Anyone tried to build a Voyage MPD server using an Alix motherboard?

I'm John.

They were using Alix boards for this.

http://store.voyage.hk/KMPD2e.php

You're still stuck with sorting a power supply.

-Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm massimiliano.

I was thinking exactly about that kit.
    The more I think the more I want to try a PK90.

I'm John.

-Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread