+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Cambridge Audio DacMagic

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Default Opinions on Cambridge Audio DacMagic

Hi,

Thinking of getting one of these as there're a few on eBay for a reasonable price. How does it compare to a fully-upgraded 7510 (except for the passive mod)?

Thanks.
    Simon.

I'm tony.

Great wee DAC.I have had one for couple of years,my son uses it now.I bought a russ andrews PSU for it which improved things noticeably,dare say the maplin Psu would do the same for less.Cant compare it with the 7510 but it does 95% of what my MF M1 does.

I'm notAlone.

When you say "fully upgraded 7510" you mean a Caiman ?

If it's the case, then a Dac Magic is no better. Slightly different, certainly.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Themis, I think I recall reading that you couldn't upgrade the 7510 as far as a Caiman (or possibly even the 7520) because of insurmountable internal differences.
    I came across a What HiFi? comparison that claimed the DacMagic was better than a 7520, so that along with your endorsement Tony encourages me to give bidding a punt.

Thanks
    Simon.

I'm notAlone.

If it's "just" an upgraded 7510 then DacMagic is better, if I recall properly.
    Better jitter rejection and better upsampling. Less "raw", imho.

There are better options (like Tubemagic) but it's a fairly neutral dac. Does the job well.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Stan is such an obliging chap and the Caiman is so tweakable, I'd still be inclined to look there instead, as there's such a large Caiman fraternity here..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

I borrowed a DacMagic from Richer sounds (sometimes they'll let you do that...) and took it back a few days later. As I recall it didn't give a significantly better output than either my Squeezebox or my CD player. I then ordered a Caiman, which certainly seemed different initially, and to my surprise seemed to have a substantial burn in period over which the SQ did seem to improve significantly. One advantage of my Caiman (an unmodified one) is that it has a headphone output, which has on occasions been very useful. Some would say that a better headphone amplifier is needed for really serious listening on good quality headphones, but at the price the Caiman was very good value for me. Maybe Stan is still offering a discount if you mention this forum.

The DacMagic is good, but I felt it didn't give me anything extra over my other kit at the time. For a replacement for a computer sound card etc. it's undoubtedly very good.

Since then other DACs have come on the scene - some in the same price range, and arguably some better ones at higher prices.

The prices for "pre-owned" DAcMagics and Caimans on eBay are not dissimilar.
    Last edited by dave2010; 03-09-2011 at 12:24.
    Dave

I'm John.

I thought the Cambridge Dac Magic sounded rather dry and un-involving personally.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Rob.

Had a DM here for a couple of years and can't fault it.
    In fact its our stock budget dac recommendation along with the MF V-Dac. Nothing between them.
    Never tried a Caiman but also looks a decent bit of kit.

I'm Paul.

IMHO the Caimen wipes the floor with a DacMagic.

There is just more life, more control, bigger sound stage... and as DSJR pointed out it can be upgraded if you want to.

When I first got mine it took quite a long 'burn in' period to sound at it's best but now it is something quite exceptional.

The combination of it with the Squeezebox gives my Naim CDI a run for it's money which still shocks me.. Yes, the CDI is better, but not much considering the difference in the initial cost differences.

Paul.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast