+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beresford 7520 upgrade recommendations

I'm Peter.

Default Beresford 7520 upgrade recommendations

I'm very pleased with my Beresford 7520 DAC. Together with the new speakers it really has enhanced my life. I've been reading through various threads regarding upgrades but, as usual, am a little confused. I don't use headphones and I use the DAC as a preamp - fixed output to Quad power amp. Also is it really worth changing the PSU? If so what's a good one without forking out too much money?

I realize these questions have been asked before but I thought the answers seemed inconclusive and also I wondered if anything had changed since they were asked.

Pete

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkineater23 View Post
    I'm very pleased with my Beresford 7520 DAC. Together with the new speakers it really has enhanced my life. I've been reading through various threads regarding upgrades but, as usual, am a little confused. I don't use headphones and I use the DAC as a preamp - fixed output to Quad power amp. Also is it really worth changing the PSU? If so what's a good one without forking out too much money?

I realize these questions have been asked before but I thought the answers seemed inconclusive and also I wondered if anything had changed since they were asked.

Pete
    Hi Pete, sorry for picking up an old thread but curious to know how the Beresford 7520 with Quad Power amp is working out for you. My local dealer has some v reasonably priced Quad 909 stereo power amps and after being quite impressed with the 7520 it occured to me this could be the basis of a rather nice second system. I see you use the fixed output from the 7520 to your Quad, how do you control the volume if you dont mind me asking? I thought that to do this i would have to use the 7520's variable output and volume control.

Curious to know what speakers and peripherals you have chosen for this system and what sources you use/types of music of you play?

Also curious to know if anyone else is using their 7520 in this way.

I've not taken any of the upgrades with my 7520 yet, just letting it do its thing for while before we get to tinkering with it, I've heard of people on this forum using Maplin PSUs for them, not quite sure if i understand what the benefit of these are, perhaps they are just more solidly constructed than the stock... maybe a more informed member can enlighten us.

cheers

Rich

I'm Brian.

Hi Rich , I recently purchased a linear PSU from Mark Grant cables ( see his website) for my Caiman SEG and it has been a very worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.
    Brian.

I'm Rich.

Hi Brian,

what improvements have you found from the linear psu? If i were to go down an upgrade route with the 7520 i wonder if the money would be better spent on opamps/chips and add the psu later?

I'm Brian.

Hi Rich , improvements all around . Lower noise floor , better tighter bass , better midband , and smoother treble . In my opinion it takes the Caiman into another league. I can't comment on opamp changes etc. as I haven't tried them yet . I wanted to get the power supply upgraded to the best I could first.
    I may at a later date try some opamp changes but at the moment the Caiman is sounding very good indeed . Remember that you can send the linear PSU back if not completely happy . I don't know if you can do the same with opamps.
    Brian.

I'm Brian.

PM sent Gary . Don't know if I'm doing this correctly. I am using a Sqeezebox linear PSU purchased from Mark Grant cables.
    You can have a look at them on his website.
    Brian.
    Last edited by brian2957; 01-12-2011 at 18:06.

I'm Peter.

Hey I'm so sorry Rich, I had no idea my thread had been replied to until now, it was months ago! I wonder is there a way to be notified of replies via email? Also further apologies as I do indeed use the variable 7520 output (not fixed). Quad 606 to AVI Neutron 5 speakers and J.River media player.

The sound was such a massive improvement from what I had been using for the previous few years (Cambridge Soundworks PC system). I was immediately blown away with the new sound. Now a little further down the line I think it sounds fantastic with few instruments, just voice and guitar - clear separate beautiful sounds. For example The Descendants soundtrack that I ripped to Flac sounds so good it's almost creepy. However, music that has more going on can sound rather muddled, the sounds don't 'pop out' as they used to with my old 1980's Quad sound system.

Regarding the PSU; I've decided to wait for the reviews for the Bushmaster 2 (with variable output) and take it from there.

Pete

I'm Rich.

Hi Peter...

I've since upgraded the opamps in my 7520 to the LM4562NA, a worthwhile upgrade for a few quid (its been well covered on this forum and I can send you one if you'd like to try it for yourself, a very simple operation to swap them out, PM your address)

I find this improves many elements of the music, vocal are a bit bigger and drums/cymbals sound fantastic... I also think that busy music sounds a bit well... busy on my system but think this is primarily down to the source. I use the 7520 via optical from my tivo box and all music sound great, i also use the usb input a lot and whilst many of those waiting for the bushmaster may not miss this function i certainly would.

My speaker choice (RS3) also favours vocals, acoustic gtrs and strings rather than bass heavy stuff or screaming rock but then thats what i wanted.

Havent upgraded power supplies or anything with it yet and still using my Arcam for power amp, keeping mind and eyes open for potential power amps.

Rich
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Brian.

Hi Richard , I haven't changed the opamps yet . I can wholeheartedly recommend the power supply upgrade . Stan also provides upgrades in the form of the Gator board and the Silmic mod. The silmic modded gator board is excellent , taking the Caiman into another league IMO.May I also suggest that you invest in a good USB cable . Despite the science behind it all they do make a big difference to the sound , again IMHO.
    Brian.

I'm Confused.

FWIW my opinion on the best op-amps for the 7520 and all it's derivatives (mine started of as a basic but now has had 'everything' done to it, including Caimanising) are a pair of round metal OPA111 on a 2 into 1 adapter. Unless you are lucky they are now frighteningly expensive but I got mine some time ago when they were much cheaper .
    I loaned my 111s and adapter to a friend on here to try in his similarly specc'd 7520 and he agreed they were the best he'd heard too.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast