+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh Man... it rings like a bell...

I'm Mike.

Default Oh Man... it rings like a bell...

In case anyone is wondering, I gave the platter the "Ring Test" or "Ping Test" to time how long the platter rings. According to my hearing - I timed the ringing to last 7 seconds. I did this several times, giving the platter a good ping. Each good ping I gave it lasted 7 seconds (according to the atomic clock ).

To perform the test, I removed the platter and held it at its magnet, to avoid any additional platter damping. I used a digital clock to count the seconds. When I was not looking at the clock to count the seconds on some occasions, I thought I was hearing the platter ring for as long as 10 seconds.

If your hearing is better, it would be interesting to hear your results.

Whoever had their platter serviced by Vantage Audio to have the copper-top bonded to the platter, please let us know your results.

Mike
    Anyone who thinks CDs sound better needs to listen to my system. Besides, my cables sound better than yours.

Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-1: MN Bearing + Baseplate + AL/CU Platter, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME V, Audio Technica AT33EV, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable
    Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-2: MN Bearing + Baseplate, Copper Mat, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME 309, Audio Technica ATOC9/MLII, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable

I'm gone.

Ah - not good. Well, I guess it might be if you like the colouration it induces!

A Herbie mat will damp it nicely, as will a Funk mat. You'll hear a significantly clearer and better focussed sound if you reduce the ringing substantially, ime.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Hi Mike

Well of course i have the Vantage Audio platter and as its sat in the corner of my room doing nothing , i guess i can do the ringing test and will let you know the result
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Chris.

I would say its almost non resonant , perhaps the tiniest bit for about half a second as a rough guess , pretty impressive , quite keen to get it up and running again to be honest .
    Chris

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Hi Mike

Well of course i have the Vantage Audio platter and as its sat in the corner of my room doing nothing , i guess i can do the ringing test and will let you know the result

You left your TT alone doing nothing??? Shame on you...

I like having my TTs to do something meaningful - like...
    Anyone who thinks CDs sound better needs to listen to my system. Besides, my cables sound better than yours.

Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-1: MN Bearing + Baseplate + AL/CU Platter, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME V, Audio Technica AT33EV, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable
    Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-2: MN Bearing + Baseplate, Copper Mat, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME 309, Audio Technica ATOC9/MLII, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable

I'm Mike.

I would say its almost non resonant , perhaps the tiniest bit for about half a second as a rough guess , pretty impressive , quite keen to get it up and running again to be honest .
    Chris -
    How much weight was added to your platter after VA performed the copper-top modification? Did you perform the Mike New Bearing Mod?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You know, turntables do provide mats which, as well as supporting records, serve to roperly damp any ringing in the platter

Please fellas, don't get anal about it all
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CableMaker1 View Post
    Chris -
    How much weight was added to your platter after VA performed the copper-top modification? Did you perform the Mike New Bearing Mod?

Not sure I'm guessing about 200-250 gms ?

No i don't have the Mike New bearing , i have the Vantage Audio level 1 bearing mod to the OEM bearing , i actually prefer this to the Timestep bearing which at £150 (at the time) as opposed to the VA at £79 is quite a feat don't you think .

The reason my 1210 is doing nothing is because i sold my Timestep psu , with the intention of getting the VA psu ! But its on hold as we have a kitchen project going on here , and jeez its getting expensive
    Still not finished either , some issues .
    Chris

I'm Chris.

Oh i thought it might be useful to add , when Richard was last here ,we talked about various psu's available for the 1210 , and Richard has the utmost repect for the one's that Paul Hynes offers ! Less so some other bloke i could mention but i won't
    Chris

I'm Ron.

Oh i thought it might be useful to add , when Richard was last here ,we talked about various psu's available for the 1210 , and Richard has the utmost repect for the one's that Paul Hynes offers ! Less so some other bloke i could mention but i won't
    Come on now Chris, name names, no one can be sued for having 'an opinion' otherwise there would be alot of litigation from Linn against people who go into internet print and call the LP12 crap do you not think?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but did you not have a Mike New bearing but junked it, or gave up on the idea of getting one, when the propaganda was rife about its so called failings? I seem to recall, on the TimeStep forum, that you were quite a believer in DC's 'holistic approach', what changed your thinking? I left the TS forum for reasons given over here in AoS but I still use a TS HE PSU on my 1210/MN bearing/ etc and see no reason to spend more money until I can hear the (or a) improvement which warrants the change and extra expenditure.

Let me make this absolutely clear that I'm not trying to antagonise you or pick a fight but I'm always suspicious of the saying.. 'i could mention but i won't '.
    If its a valid point (?) and can be proved so then please have the courage to do so.

Ron

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast