• 3 stars

6 21.43%
  • 4 stars

10 35.71%
  • 5 stars

8 28.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 30.08.2011: Tangerine Dream - Rubycon (1975) (Vinyl, CD, SACD)

I'm John.

Listening to a Vinyl rip on reel to reel.
    Hmm, what can I say.

Erm, its clever right enough. I’ve played both parts twice over the day and not once did I feel I wanted to sit back and really listen to what was going on. I guess there may be something in the comments that a bit of chemical assistance helps the appreciation. Unfortunately all I’ve got is coffee
    Okay, I think this is my problem with Tangerine Dream and this type of electronica in general; there are no real instruments playing and I think for me that’s quite important in music and particularly so if the music isn’t beat driven. If I wanted to listen to relaxing background music I would probably choose something classical.
    Not for me this one. Its not that it isn’t good at what it is; I just don’t like what it is.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Well I have just finished a listen and I plonked myself down on the sofa and put the headphones on to enjoy it. Not too dissimilar to Phaedra, which I have loved since the first time I heard it upon release. Quite ground-breaking in those days. I'm very familiar with Phaedra, but not so much Rubycon and I particularly liked the starting sequence of Part II, which reminded me a lot of 2001 a Space Odyssey.

It will be going on again as I have just ordered it from Amazon, only £1.76 so a steal. I don't think I would need anymore TD, as these two are sufficient and my only criticism would be I didn't think it was long enough, I could have done with another 30 minutes!

4 from me
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
    Rubycon is timeless and although I prefer Phaedra ..The con is one of THE best em albums ever made ..not everybody can see it for what it is. It isn't so much composed or played by the three guys it's more of a sculpture in sound.
    I think it's difficult to appreciate it in isolation. You really need to hear it in context with what went before and what came after to realise that this album was the bridge between the earlier, more free-form electronic music and the sequencer-driven style that would typify the 'Berlin School' sound.

I find it fascinating to compare the output of Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze during this period (TD's Phaedra/Rubycon/Ricochet with Schulze's Blackdance/Picture Music/Timewind) - an exercise that shows just how pivital Rubycon was to the development of this extraordinary musical style.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm notAlone.

I think that Phaedra, Rubicon, Stratosfear are the three best TD albums.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

MartinT Guest

I've just listened to it again. For me, the central section of Pt. 1 is what TD do so well, ethereal emotions weaving around a solid rhythm, all of it ebbing and flowing. Pt. 2 has more than a touch of Ligeti's Requiem to it, with the same feeling of 'into the unknown' in the vocals underpinned by throbbing synths. I prefer it to Phaedra as having more substance and definitely being more memorable. Hardly anyone has mentioned Ricochet, which is my absolute favourite TD and incorporates much of Rubycon's feel if not exactly the same musical content. 4 stars.

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Hardly anyone has mentioned Ricochet, which is my absolute favourite TD and incorporates much of Rubycon's feel if not exactly the same musical content. 4 stars.
    For quite a while, Ricochet was my very favourite TD album too, and remains high up on my list of favourites, but nowadays I prefer the way the tracks on Rubycon develop as 'musical sculptures'. I feel Ricochet has some brilliant tunes, but seems somewhat rushed with the individual themes not being given time to develop properly. A consequence of it being a live album maybe? (And I hate the removal of the two hand claps at the beginning of 'Part 2' on the 1995 'Definitive Edition' CD )
    Last edited by keiths; 30-08-2011 at 18:26. Reason: Typos
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Okay, I think this is my problem with Tangerine Dream and this type of electronica in general; there are no real instruments playing and I think for me that’s quite important in music and particularly so if the music isn’t beat driven.
    Not for me this one. Its not that it isn’t good at what it is; I just don’t like what it is.
    Thanks for the comments John. I realise that this won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Regarding the lack of 'real' instruments, post-war, German contemporary music was struggling to find it's own identity. Wanting to distance themselves from the music of their parents and not wanting to imitate the UK and USA music scene, musicians there were quicker to adopt electronic instruments and the heavy electronic processing of the sounds of 'normal' rock instrumentation to forge their own sound. There are some real instruments on Rubycon - guitar, gongs, electric piano and 'prepared' piano, but they are well-hidden

Maybe you could try a couple of other TD albums sometime - 'Ricochet' (1975) and 'Statosfear' (1976) - which as well as being more rhythmic than Rubycon, have a little more in the way of obvious piano and guitar etc.
    Keith

Gallery

I'm ChrisB.

Hmmm - this was interesting for me! Though not necessary solely from the point of view of the content of the album - I listened to the album twice this evening, on two different turntables and it told me quite a lot about the turntables.

I've owned a copy of this album for a while now - a slightly crackly in places first pressing - though I couldn't profess to knowing it particularly well. I went to see the band in the early 80's and quite enjoyed the gig but never really got into their recordings.
    The only other TD album I own is Phaedra, which I probably know slightly better, though I have mostly listened to it while going to sleep! - and by that, I really don't mean I find it boring.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed the playing of it this evening & I think I prefer this to Phaedra. I preferred Pt. 1 to Pt. 2, finding parts of the latter a bit too much like the soundtrack of some dodgy vintage horror film. The middle section of Pt. 1 reminded me of 'Meddle' - kind of a melding of 'One of These Days' and 'Echoes'. This was reinforced by my daughter saying: "This is quite interesting, very atmospheric - it's making me want to listen to Pink Floyd" (That's my girl!).

It's not the sort of album I'd listen to a lot, as I probably need to be in a particular type of mood to want to hear it, but I'm glad I own it. Thanks to this thread, I'll certainly be playing it more often now.

We're playing Meddle now!

NB - Ref. the two turntables in case you're interested:
    With the Goldring/Decca turntable I felt that it's one of those albums where the gain needs to be set just so in order to fully appreciate it - good volume is required otherwise it seems lacking in body a little.
    Then I stuck it on the Gyro/Zeta/Koetsu - blimey, that's more like it! It seemed like it was a completely different recording & everyone present (3 of us) felt it was much better for the change. The Gyro maybe gave it a more organic quality - which is perhaps exactly the opposite to what the performers intended!
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 30-08-2011 at 18:53.

I'm John.

@ Keith.

Well, a bit embarrassing actually Keith
    I didn’t have Rubycon in file or CD format, although I do have Phaedra which I have just played and quite enjoyed.
    Soooo, I borrowed a taped copy in a bit of a rush this morning and I’ve just found out what the guy used to play and rip with
    I think I’ll see if I can borrow a “decent” copy at some point and have another listen.
    I think this may be a bit of a problem with Album Club in general. Spotify is a great means of hearing music one may not have, but it’s not ideal for serious listening imo; the difference on my kit at least is very noticeable
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Simon.

I really don't get this sort of music, probably why I became such a metal head back in the day.

I'm going to try an have a borrow of a mate's CD and give this a proper listen though as my tastes have certainly diversified over the last few years so will be interesting to listen to this sort of music fresh again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast