+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to deal with loudness?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    With the receivers & the SB3 there is an option to fix the volume at 100%, which renders the volume control inoperative, however ReplayGain still functions in these circumstances.
    You can do the same with the Touch, although it requires the installation of a 3rd party plugin.
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=77837
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Chris, worth a go I think, having been used to my Touch with no mods running the Drobo in direct, and then visiting Gary, who networks his and at the time had the soundcheck mods applied, the improvement is very worthwhile. I will be applying them once I have a dedicated machine to run SC on.
    Ali, I've been experimenting with these upgrade options and the jury's still out...

Either I hear things differently to others or I'm looking for different attributes. The improvements always revolve around "more detail" or "more transparency". I never see "more musical connection" or "better instrument tone". But I think these tweaks are VERY personal and system dependent.

I'm just trying the Linux adjustments and although the changes are clearly effective, I hear a negative side to their effect, namely that the dynamics are reduced considerably, the sound doesn't flow out of the speakers into the room in the same effortless way and the overall presentation becomes "locked down". Do you think this could just be because my speakers are SO dynamic and effortless that I'm hearing so easily when this is disrupted?

It's all too easy to steer a system towards having an excellent presentation, inoffensive with most recordings and immediately impressive, then being left listening to the system and shortchanged on the musical message. I've had a few experiences in the last year where I've chosen the options that were initially less obvious (maybe more 3D but less detailed or something) and then a few moves later - wow, beautiful, clean high frequencies which sound so natural and don't leave you wanting for anything, they just appear complete and strikingly realistic.
    Steve & Valerie

www.electricbeachaudio.com

If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by electric beach View Post
    Ali, I've been experimenting with these upgrade options and the jury's still out...

Either I hear things differently to others or I'm looking for different attributes. The improvements always revolve around "more detail" or "more transparency". I never see "more musical connection" or "better instrument tone". But I think these tweaks are VERY personal and system dependent.

I'm just trying the Linux adjustments and although the changes are clearly effective, I hear a negative side to their effect, namely that the dynamics are reduced considerably, the sound doesn't flow out of the speakers into the room in the same effortless way and the overall presentation becomes "locked down". Do you think this could just be because my speakers are SO dynamic and effortless that I'm hearing so easily when this is disrupted?

It's all too easy to steer a system towards having an excellent presentation, inoffensive with most recordings and immediately impressive, then being left listening to the system and shortchanged on the musical message. I've had a few experiences in the last year where I've chosen the options that were initially less obvious (maybe more 3D but less detailed or something) and then a few moves later - wow, beautiful, clean high frequencies which sound so natural and don't leave you wanting for anything, they just appear complete and strikingly realistic.

Give that man a medal
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234