+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Digital sound is not only about ones and zeros

The first audio CD discs that I acquired in 1983 still work in my CD player and laptop. That's about 28 years now.

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    The first audio CD discs that I acquired in 1983 still work in my CD player and laptop. That's about 28 years now.
    Yep, just pray you don't loose a single byte in the toc area for the next years.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    And, having worked in computers for a lifetime, where things last averagely 10 years or so, I wonder how on earth a necessity became an advantage ?
    That's a very good point - but there are advantages to go with the clear disadvantages too. Yes I have to spend time (and money) keeping my ever growing digital collection of music backed up and safely archived, but how could you store and easily access thousands of CD's from something that is smaller than a paperback book? Mind you, when everything is on the cloud, it will be someone else's problem
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Yep, just pray you don't loose a single byte in the toc area for the next years.
    The secret is to keep your CD in its case and in a dark place. The aluminium layer does not break down so easily then.

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    The secret is to keep your CD in its case and in a dark place. The aluminium layer does not break down so easily then.
    Well said.

That's my way, too. (but I have also a copy, a backup of the copy, and a off-site backup of ... the backups)
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

I'm Alex.

And, having worked in computers for a lifetime, where things last averagely 10 years or so, I wonder how on earth a necessity became an advantage ?
    It's all about sharing. You cannot share your physical photo with all your friends and family around the globe in an instant, however if you digitize it, you can share it with everyone by simply clicking a button.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    It's all about sharing. You cannot share your physical photo with all your friends and family around the globe in an instant, however if you digitize it, you can share it with everyone by simply clicking a button.
    Good point. Copying and sharing is easier, indeed.
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

Unfortunately you are correct Themis.
    The recommended guidance for data archiving from The National Archive is to routinely move your data from one set of spinning disks to another. I suppose this avoids the issue of media incompatibility and electronic decay, but is still not as survivable as the written (or carved) word.

CERN have done their own research into the matter and are using LTO-4 tapes for archiving of LHC data for up to 50 years. Tapes have the advantage of having no moving parts and relative stability when kept in subterrenean climate controlled concrete-lined safes. I imagine in a few years they will be plucked out and moved to a newer system where the data is more readily accessible. It's certainly no microfiche
    Tom
    AKG K701, TC-7520 HPA/DAC, Yamaha RX-V396RDS, Some awful speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456