+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mike New Bearing Base Plate

For New York that would be Westchester County. Either way, they are both in the US.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

For a cheap mat option which gives around 3mm height, what about cork? The plain floor-tile made ones I use are great and the sonics can be easily tuned by either using the flatter side up, or the rougher one. No rubber in mine that I can see, but they do work well for me and cost very little relatively speaking (and my home made ones don't even have a label recess - doesn't matter really in the wide scheme of things IMO as the cork is soft). These work without any form of clamp or weight too I find.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Ron.

Default MN base plate

Quote Originally Posted by CableMaker1 View Post
    The Bearing Base Plate primary function is to give the Bearing more stability to the turntable. It adds stability by using 5 additional nut/bolt combo by clamping it down to the chassis.

Note that you CANNOT use the Bearing Base Plate with the stock Bearing without doing some work. This is because the original stock bearing is keyed as you can see when removing it from the housing. And you cannot use it with the stock Transformer in place - it needs to be removed.

What actually is the work needed on the base plate when using it with the early installation of the MN bearing on its own? I have the latter and I am considering the former? Were you referring to the Technics stock bearing that others (not MN) are still using as the housing for their upgrades, viz: TimeStep, Vantage Audio and so on? In otherwords if you want the MN base plate it can ONLY be used with the MN bearing and for the moment and forseable future none other!? Sorry if my light bulb is a flickering on this one Having an out board PSU there is no contact fouling likely to happen.

This has been a very informative thread and once again thanks

Ron

Oh bugger, on re-reading your post I see that you were referring to the Stock platter but I'll push the send button anyway. a senior moment!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    For New York that would be Westchester County. Either way, they are both in the US.
    Cheers, chaps. I suspected that it was somewhere in the US, but I don't know why the hell Mike couldn't just have said so, after I'd asked him the question four times!!

On AoS, we like our members to know where each other comes from, and as this is a UK-based site, 'foreign' locations (towns and states) not ending with the country of origin, may be unfamiliar to some people.

Therefore, if Westchester is in, say, Illinois, then the correct way to display one's location details would be: "Westchester, Illinois, USA".

That is the layout I would like everyone to follow, especially those whose geographical location may not be instantly well-known to the majority

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Westchester NY , some pics from Wikipedia

Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

Looks very nice indeed, Chris! But does Mike live in the Westchester in NY or Illinois?

That's my point!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Looks very nice indeed, Chris! But does Mike live in the Westchester in NY or Illinois?

That's my point!

Marco.
    I think the Illinois one is West Chester - i.e two seperate words so I am going for the county in up state New York . Although IME some of our American cousins seem to have a fairly scanty knowledge of geography so you should consider the possibility that Mike is not entirely sure himself as to exactly where he is
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

That's my point!

Marco.
    Indeed , and it is a reasonable request , I'm sure he will be happy to comply .
    Chris

I think the Illinois one is West Chester - i.e two seperate words so I am going for the county in up state New York . Although IME some of our American cousins seem to have a fairly scanty knowledge of geography so you should consider the possibility that Mike is not entirely sure himself as to exactly where he is

At least, with all this discussion, he'll now be sure to clear up the confusion!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's a bit harsh .
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast