+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current state of play

I'm Peter.

Default Current state of play

Hi All

Been through much of this forum, loads of great info and some amazing decks/modifications to the venerable SL's. I'm looking taking the plunge myself but struggling to know where to start, i've a good mk5, never been dj'd and is a good representation of the turntable.

So where to start these days? A lot of the mods seem no longer available, thinking about the bearings specificaly but also a few of the cottage industry types seem to have closed up shop and no longer provide mods for this deck, has the boat sailed and the love that these decks moved on? Guessing any upgrades will need to be sourced on on the used market?

Things i'm considering:

New bearings
    Platter
    New arm, love to pick up an sme903 if i can find one for the right price.
    External PSU
    Internal upgrades, clock for example.
    Anything else i should consider?

Any recomendations for easy sound quality wins would be appreciated, order of upgrades etc.

I'm using a cyrus dac8 and dino mk3. Amps up for an upgrade later in the year and may get the dino nc psu.

Cheers

Pete

I'm Andrew.

Depends on what you want to spend
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikasa View Post
    Hi All

So where to start these days? A lot of the mods seem no longer available, thinking about the bearings specificaly but also a few of the cottage industry types seem to have closed up shop and no longer provide mods for this deck, has the boat sailed and the love that these decks moved on? Guessing any upgrades will need to be sourced on on the used market?
    I think life and circumstances (won't get political) have soured many a thing. While sourcing parts has become more interesting, I don't necessarily think the boat has completely sailed, not yet anyway.

I just purchased a Delrin-AF thrust plate upgrade for one of my "stock" 1200s from kabusa. It's not a Mike New bearing. Nevertheless, the old thrust plate was getting a little long in the tooth so this is a measure for extending the longevity of the deck. (I did do a thorough cleaning of the spindle and bushing.) Next will likely be an arm rewire. There are still lots of options.

Though I now have an SL-1200G (which I take absolutely nothing away from), my main and most often used deck is still a modded 1200MK2.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Kevin.

Bearings are still available. Funk have one, and timestep may still do one.
    PSU - MCRU for the LDA external.
    Platter I know funk do one, but you need to keep your eyes peeled on the 2nd hand market if you want something specific.
    Arm board - Magna audio. There are a few examples shown on his threads.
    Feet - Isonoe or Boing.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread