+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: The Mike New Bearing Base Plate

I'm Kevin.

The description that Mike posted of his oil makes me wonder if he has used gear oil.

Something like this - https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/fully-...0232.html#1413

If I remember correctly, the oil in the bearing is red in colour, which is the standard colour for transmission oil.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

itll be a mix of stuff knowing mike... but as you say that will likely work
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Interesting - https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ng-oil.893572/

Someone else confirming it is synthetic gear oil…
    Kevin

I'm Nigel.

Just to say, I purchased one of the original Mike New bearings from Dave Cawley. It was supplied with a small bottle of oil. I enquired on here at the time how to top up the bearing oil and I seem to remember it was something like one or two drops every five or so years, so there was enough spare oil in that bottle for a lifetime. It seemed a negligible amount anyway. It should be still in the forum archives. I can't see any red colour in the bottle of oil I was given.

I'm Nigel.

Mike New said on here,

"The oil used is very thin, but still the viscous friction in such a very small clearance causes the very smooth tight feel."

I'm Nigel.

I'm Herman.

When I opened the bearing, the oil had an unusual smell, not the regular oil smell.

I'm Chris.

Very watery smelly stuff - still got it.

I hope Mike is doing well these days. From what I recall just a few drops and pretty much never again.

I'm Herman.

Thanks for the photo. At least we know that Mike was at St.Ives (suburb of Sydney) )
    I actually took the bearing apart so I will need the full internal amount to refill the bearing.

Anderol 465 is the original Technics bearing oil. It's an ISO 68 synthetic di-ester based lubricant. I think this is close to the description of what Mike New used. I think I will try to source it and use it.
    Last edited by noviygera; 07-11-2022 at 22:25. Reason: added text

I'm Kevin.

KAB can supply you that.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021