+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do my wireless boxes lose the router?

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    As for Homeplugs, I'd suggest that as long as you're using FLAC then the transport mechanism is irrelevant, as it's an asynchronous FTP to the player...as to whether being connected to the homeplug adversely effects the player's performance I don't know...some might suggest that it's better than using wi-fi
    Use these myself because wifi would drop out from time to time, the microwave oven would cause this, IME, and portable phones are reported to do this too.

Can't say if Homeplugs polute mains enough to ruine sound, system sounds good to me.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    I have a set of 200 Mbps plugs I bought for something else (Bluray connection to internet) and never connected them up because I heard they added noise to the mains and didn't want it affecting the hifi, which is in the same room. I'll be using them to connect the Touch(downstairs) to the router (upstairs) so I'll see how it goes. I need to order a couple of Cat5 cables to set it all up.
    Of course HomePlugs will add noise to the mains, in the sense that they add in signals which wern't there before. The noise, as you call it, will be very high frequency, and probably wont't cause any problems. However, you have raised an interesting point. I suppose it's just possible that the mains could act as a transmitting aerial, and if the HF signals are in the same range as some other HF kit (e.g Wi-Fi, mobile phones, cordless phones, or FM radio frequencies), then these could interfere with some equipment, perhaps in ways which are not fully understood yet. On balance I'd say that it's unlikely. There was a time when I thought ADSL might generate so much interference that it would cause problems, but it does mostly seem to be OK. I'd say the same for HomePlugs now too.

Get those HomePlugs out and start using them. Good luck with the upstairs/downstairs connection - doesn't work in my house!
    Dave

I'm Bernie.

Cheers Dave, I'll get to it!
    Bernie.

I'm Mark.

Not familiar with the BT router but if it has wireless 'n' then trying switching the 'n' off as the router may be looking for an n device which causes the drop outs.

All you need with squeezebox is b and g

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/speake...s/devices/5745

Maybe try a high quality router.

The Billion 7800N is excellent
    http://www.billion.uk.com/product/wireless/7800n.htm

Not cheap but really is excellent, our wired network is now faster for internet browsing and accessing any network shares than our previous Netgear DGN2000 router.
    Wireless throughput appears more speedy.
    everything is just more 'snappy'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-BiPA.../dp/B002TOKGL8
    -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123