3 23.08%
  • 5 out of 5

2 15.38%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 23.08.2011: Medeski Martin & Wood - Uninvisible

I'm John.

Default Album Club: 23.08.2011: Medeski Martin & Wood - Uninvisible

Medeski Martin & Wood - Uninvisible 2002 (CD, DVD Audio, Vinyl, Download)

You may be tempted to hot finger it to the forums and start typing “WTF is this”
    Don’t bother coz I couldn’t tell you. Jazz/Funk maybe
    I got introduced to this album by a 14 year old lad I had just banned from an online game for verbally abusing other players and spamming the HUD, who then came to internet relay chat to ask me what I had got against him
    During our conversation our tastes in music came up and when I mentioned I was rather found of Tower Of Power and Marcus Millar he suggested I checked this out. Thanks Adam

Just need to get all audiophile here for a moment and point out mp3 doesn’t do this justice. It has some incredibly deep and tuneful bass.

It’s certainly different. This is probably Medeski Martin & Woods most accessible album.
    Not much doubt these guys can play, it’s just a question of whether or not you like what they play.
    The drumming is excellent, good pace, not over complicated and well recorded for a change.

This should be the Spotify link.
    Medeski, Martin & Wood – Uninvisible

If you don’t do Spotify, this UTube link should get you started. About half the album can be found on the Tube.

Your bound to want to buy the album so here it is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uninvisible-...4121643&sr=1-3

@ Alex.
    Did I do it rite boss?
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 23-08-2011 at 18:33.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Dave.

I quite like it. Unusual for sure. Bet it sounds hot on a good system.

Vinyl version currently unavaliable on Amazon Uk and US. Which means it must be popular.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I have a stereo CD version of this & the 5.1 DVDAudio version, so i know it reasonably well

The DVDAudio version is incredible, it really does make the case for 5.1 surround sound more than anything i have ever heard

Like John says, it's a bit eclectic but i'm sure most of you would enjoy it, i know i do
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    @ Alex.
    Did I do it rite boss?
    - top notch, thanks, though my anally retentive nature meant I had to make a couple of subtle OCD titivations!

Excellent, choice by the look John - I look forward to giving this a try when I have the house to myself tomorrow.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    : I look forward to giving this a try when I have the house to myself tomorrow.
    What the hell do you do whilst listening to music that you need to be alone...
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.

Street photography

Dave

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
    What the hell do you do whilst listening to music that you need to be alone...
    Well I reckon if Alex sent Avatar round to your place whilst you were trying to concentrate on some music, you would find out
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Well I reckon if Alex sent Avatar round to your place whilst you were trying to concentrate on some music, you would find out
    Not to mention the ear-bending from SWMBO for playing it too loud.

Oh, and the fact that I like to listen to new music in a basque and stockings, of course!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Oh, and the fact that I like to listen to new music in a basque and stockings, of course!
    When you are no doubt known as Alexandra
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Dave.

What a man choosed to do in the privicy of hid own attic...

Street photography

Dave

I'm ChrisB.

Ooh no, sorry folks, this one's not for me!

I thought that in places it was a bit reminiscent of 'Tutu' era Miles Davis, but without the snap or urgency of that album's production. However, I got the idea that they were going for, but failing to achieve, more of a 'Bitches Brew' feel. Or maybe to confirm John's point about Marcus Miller - 'The Man With The Horn'.

I can recognise the musicianship & I can certainly see that this stuff would be a lot more compelling in a live situation. I was kind of interested in the third track 'Your Name Is Snake Anthony', with it's spoken word narrative.
    Above all though, I just can't be doing with that organ sound!

Sorry for the negativity & thanks John for offering the impetus for me to give it a go. As always, I'd rather listen to something and decide it's not for me than to never try it - music's good like that: it can still enrich your life even if you don't like a given album.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast