+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Back from holland with a Philips cd473

I'm Matt.

Thumbs up Back from holland with a Philips cd473

Picked up this Cd player recently. Just spinning some CDs on it and it really is quite a nice sounding player. Very fluid , and sounds natural with vocals.

1988 I think, maybe more subtle than the Dacmagic.

just thought I'd share this .
    Bowers and Wilkins CM1
    Philips Cd 618
    Marantz amp

I'm Matt.

In fact the more I listen, the more I like. quite an infectious player.
    I am not even drinking.
    Bowers and Wilkins CM1
    Philips Cd 618
    Marantz amp

I got the service manual somewhere. Change the Philips opamps for something more modern, and you'll be amazed what the CD473 can do.

I'm Matt.

really... that sounds very interesting.

Although, handy with a souldering iron I am not. Fancy some part time work mr B?
    Bowers and Wilkins CM1
    Philips Cd 618
    Marantz amp

Me? I got my hands full with some projects . But have a word with Jimmy at Tirna, or anyone equally competent. I'll go through my files of Philips stuff and dig out the manual for you if needed.
    If memory serves me right, the CD960 used an almost identical circuitry, but with better components.

MartinT Guest

Looks nice. I had a CD104 and it was very well built, didn't sound too bad. Then I upgraded to a CD650, which sounded better but had a plastic chassis. That was when Philips lost it for me.

I'm Dave.

Were the CD 104s the models which had the A and B favourite settings, so that when a CD was put in the player would decide which tracks to play, and which to miss out, based on recognising the CD. If so, then that was probably the model I had for quite a while, though eventually I sold it when it started to become unreliable. Perhaps I should have found someone to fix it, though I think the Marantz I replaced it with is probably better, even though it doesn't have that favourite track feature.
    Dave

I'm NoLongerActive.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Were the CD 104s the models which had the A and B favourite settings, so that when a CD was put in the player would decide which tracks to play, and which to miss out, based on recognising the CD.
    To be honest, I never used that feature. The CD650 had even more favourite track features and could remember a hundred or so CDs but I never used it in that either.

+ Reply to Thread