+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recommendations for alternatives to WIMA caps

I'm Andrew.

Default Recommendations for alternatives to WIMA caps

Guys,

I'm currently modding a Playstation as a 2nd CD player. The current modification I'm sourcing caps for is described here http://dogbreath.de/PS1/output/output.html

Can anyone recommend better caps for the job?? I'm looking at using the best components for the job. Any recommendations would be most welcome.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dave.

It looks like size is going to be your main limiting factor. It also looks like you really ought to tune the component values to your preamp's input impedance, which if we're talking about your ATC SCA2 is 10K ohm, which is rather low. Or are you going to use the Playstation with a different preamp/intergrated amp?
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm Andrew.

Nope its going through the SCA2 (hopefully)
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Nope its going through the SCA2 (hopefully)
    Ok, great. I've been reading into this mod a bit more, specifically on the subject of the resistors that connect to ground. I don't really understand why they're required as they're in parallel with the input impedance of the preamp. So that means the impedance will be reduced which will make it more difficult for the DAC chip to drive and will roll off bass frequencies at a higher frequency. I'm not sure why you would want to do either.

In the Caiman passive output mod, the DC blocking capacitors just go between the DAC chip and the output socket without any extra resistors connecting to ground. You then just use the DC blocking cap value and the input impedance of your preamp to calculate the bass roll-off corner frequency. You can use the calculators HERE to experiment with different cap values.

So I think the first thing you need to do is find out if the resistors connected to ground are really needed. Perhaps someone here will know for sure. We can then go on to calculating the best capacitor value.

EDIT: We can't really discuss cap makes until we know the cap value as some caps are only available in limited ranges of values.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm Andrew.

The general consensus of opinion is that the resistors are needed ( i have no idea why). The main thread regarding PS1 modification is about 270 pages last time I looked. I'm only upto page 160
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

synsei Guest

Maybe I'm missing something here (which is more than likely), but isn't modifying a PlayStation to use as a CD player akin to polishing a turd? Excuse my ignorance but I've owned several PS's over the years (excepting the PS3) and build quality isn't exactly up to audiophile standards.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here (which is more than likely), but isn't modifying a PlayStation to use as a CD player akin to polishing a turd? Excuse my ignorance but I've owned several PS's over the years (excepting the PS3) and build quality isn't exactly up to audiophile standards.
    I'm not sure about the rules with regards to cross posting but the very early PS's are seen as a pretty decent little CD player. Just search the net there is plenty on YouTurd, and various DIY audiophile websites. I'm doing the playstation as my starting point into learning how to mod CD players and basic electronics. I'm happy with the results with the mods I've done so far with my PS (albeit very simple ones).
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

synsei Guest

Ah kk. I was just curious Now, Ima gonna butt out before I get a smacked botty from a mod

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Ah kk. I was just curious Now, Ima gonna butt out before I get a smacked botty from a mod

Dave,

Consider you ass well and truly spanked ,
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

synsei Guest

ooo, matron

+ Reply to Thread