+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB to Optical converter

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Default USB to Optical converter

For those of you who have a dac with a optical in but no usb i bought one of these the other day to get a mates system up and running from his laptop so he can use Spotify and the like, cheap and does the trick and it is powered from the usb port so no power supply issues either, not the last thing in build quility but cheaper than a new dac
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

If he has an Express card slot on the laptop, get one of THESE.
    They have a PCMCIA version as well, but those are hard to find. I got three of my laptops kitted out with those X-FI cards so that I can use the optical output instead of USB. It also gives me the chance to A/B test between USB and optical using the same hardware and software and audio file at the same time. The things I have discovered...

I'm Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    If he has an Express card slot on the laptop, get one of THESE.
    They have a PCMCIA version as well, but those are hard to find. I got three of my laptops kitted out with those X-FI cards so that I can use the optical output instead of USB. It also gives me the chance to A/B test between USB and optical using the same hardware and software and audio file at the same time. The things I have discovered...
    Hey Stan, Will it fit any laptop?
    Bernie.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I've ordered the USB to Coax SPDIF converter John recommended and Mark (Reid Malenfant) also raved about - £14.99 delivered, but you'll need a coax cable on top of that. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FANMUSIC-F...#ht_2992wt_905
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I've ordered the USB to Coax SPDIF converter John recommended and Mark (Reid Malenfant) also raved about - £14.99 delivered, but you'll need a coax cable on top of that. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FANMUSIC-F...#ht_2992wt_905
    Aye, it's a bargain at that price & it uses an output transformer (just a small ferrite) so it also galvanically isolates the PC from the DAC
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm ILOB.

Yes the item works well for those who have older type DACS. Be interesting to hear how you get on with it Alex
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    Hey Stan, Will it fit any laptop?
    Only if your laptop has an expresscard slot. The Expresscard slot replaces the old PCMCIA slot.

Look in the laptop's features list on the manufacturer's website for information on what kind of slot you got. The X-FI card is well worth the money. The headphone output on it is also very usable.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Thanks John - I'll post my thoughts - hoping it will improve the sound going from USB direct into the Caiman - not guaranteed, of course, but for fifteen quid worth a gamble.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ILOB.

I used for older type dacs I would of thought with the Caiman it would be better to use its own USB connector but its not a lot of money so worth a try
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

The USB chip in the Caiman is already connected via a SPDIF link to the receiver chip inside the DAC . i.e. The Caiman USB PCB can be used as a stand alone USB to SPDIF adapter if you solder a RCA plug to the red and white wires on the USB PCB, and put the adapter and plug in a little enclosure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast