• 4 out of 5

12 60.00%
  • 5 out of 5

2 10.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Album Club: 16.08.2011: Nick Cave - Murder Ballads

I'm Simon.

Good to see a poll on here. Defo a 4 out of 5 album, not really a bad song on there and he shows he can turn a nice commercial angle with Where the Wild Roses Grow without seemingly getting a way without it being too commercial - if you see what I mean.

I've always prefered Nocturama as his best album for me though.

Rather embarrassed about this but I found I've got Dig Lazarus Dig in a pile of CDs still with the wrapping, the security tag and 2 for £10 sticker on from HMV. My other half had got it for me when she found a Take That album in the same deal. Think it's been there fore a few months as well. May need to unwrap it and get round to listening to it

Excellent choice John and I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting this album.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by griffo104 View Post
    Rather embarrassed about this but I found I've got Dig Lazarus Dig in a pile of CDs still with the wrapping, the security tag and 2 for £10 sticker on from HMV. My other half had got it for me when she found a Take That album in the same deal. Think it's been there fore a few months as well. May need to unwrap it and get round to listening to it
    ...I'd rate 'Dig Lazarus Dig' as one of their best albums, get it played Simon
    Cheers, Will

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I really enjoyed giving this a proper listen, I only have three offerings from Nick Cave, The Boatmans Call, this one and Grinderman2. I must admit when I'm in a Nick Cave mood, I normally go for Boatman as Into My Arms is one of my favourite tracks - so this was overdue in relation to giving it the time it deserves. For me I think I still prefer Boatman musically, but after listening to this properly I discovered a lot I had previously missed - O'Malleys Bar is some track indeed and I shall be returning to that some more for sure. Quite a rare album in terms of it's style when you take everything into account and I didn't realise before, it was Kylie singing on Where the Wild Roses Grow (I like Kylie).

I guess before you nominated it I would have voted it as a 3 or 4 maybe, but having properly listened to it I would now give it 4.5. Quite an outstanding album really and certainly unique.

Thanks John, good call
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Well apart from the Kylie track, I'd never heard any of this album - and it certainly has a high body count! I was hoping to have another listen before posting, but as we're now on week 3 I thought I'd better speak up. Loved the PJ Harvey track, and like others, O'Malley's Bar is epic both as a track and a piece of poetry - I'll defintely be getting hold of the CD, and gave it 4. Thanks John.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ChrisB.

I don't own anything by Cave at all - what I've heard, I've always been a bit ambivalent about. Anyway, I gave this a fair crack of the whip.
    I was surprised to find a Dylan cover on there - 'Death Is Not The End', and that it was done with a fair bit of finesse - hmm, not bad. I prefer Champion Jack Dupree's version of Stagger Lee, though.
    I found the sound of the band's instruments a bit, odd - kind of claustrophobic, I suppose - maybe that was an intentional attempt from the production to impart more of a sense of the subject matter to the sound.
    Interesting on the whole. I'm not completely convinced, but I'll be giving it another couple of plays. I'll give it a 3 for now!

I'm Dave.

Put in an ebay bid for this

I'm Dean.

Hi,

Spent part of the morning listening to this album. I have a few albums by Nick Cave knocking about the house. They come out for alisten every now and again.

Murder Ballads is an enjoyable listen. It deals with a dark side of human natural. The songs are well crafted together making the whole album engaging and entertaining. When I pressed play, I wanted to listen to the album the whole way through. I was drawn into the lyrics of the songs.

I liked his take on Stagger Lee and his use of the guest singers. I liked how the album finished with Death is not the end. A well thought out track.

Overall this is a winner.
    Dean

There are only two types of music. Music I own and music I don't.

I'm Dave.

Thumbs down Sorry it's late!

Sorry this is so late, but better late than never.

Well, I listened to this album with great interest. A few years ago, someone said to me: "It never surprises me the heights to which people can go: and the depths to which they can plunge"

There is no doubt that this album is one where Nick Cave wanted to convey the very depths of the human condition, the situation where one person would commit the ultimate evil - to end the life of another human being.

In these recordings, he does this very well, with a sort of macabre humour that's enough to raise a smile. But ultimately it fails to impress me, because it ignores the devastation and pain that can follow the death of someone we love. Without that balance, that erudition of the pain of the survivors, the music loses its anchor and its ability to move the listener.

That said, the technical standard of recording was very good, with great dynamic range.

Having listened to this once, I don't think the CD will get a repeat performance.

Dave

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Anything by Cave is good by me, 4/5.
    Barry

I'm Rich.

Told you I was catching up on album club...

Well as with many album club selections I keep a watch list on the auction place and if they come up cheap I get em. This one was always going to be worth the wait as I enjoyed 'dig Lazarus' very much. What's not to like, dark story telling, fine musicianship. Yes a 4 out of 5 for me....
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123