+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: JPLAY - Hi-end audio player for Windows

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Default JPLAY - Hi-end audio player for Windows

For the last couple of weeks or so, I've been trying out the trial version of a memory based audio player for the Windows 7(or vista) platform, called JPLAY. So far I'm pretty impressed with the sound quality it's a step up on Foobar IMO.

The idea behind JPLAY is ultimate sound quality & it's certainly very good, but to get the extra quality it's a very minimal player at only 250KB & has no GUI, File management or playlist support! Its stripped-down, bare-bones playback engine fits completely inside CPU cache & will allow you to pick tracks from Foobar, JRiver etc by copy & paste method. JPLAY then pre-loads the complete chosen tracks into the PC's RAM guaranteeing zero disk operation during playback. There's a few options to choose from & it's pretty easy to get up & running. One of it's main features is 'hibernation' mode, Your PC is used for audio playback only, this kills all unneeded processes from running in the background during the hibernation. A drawback to this is your PC is locked into hibernation until the chosen tracks have been played i.e no browsing or nothing. Hibernation is an option, so you can choose a little less sound quality to be able to use your PC during playback, but this does kind of defeat the point. You can use the player from a USB memory stick & removing the stick will stop the hibernation if needed.

Here's a link to the website for more info & it's full features. There's 32 & 64bit downloadable trials, it does drop out for a couple of secs every 2 or 3 mins or so but it's good enough to see what it's about! It does though cost 99Euro for a single license of the full version.

JPLAY claims
    Full memory-based playback: most other memory-based players dynamically load tracks into memory during playback. In contrast, JPLAY pre-loads complete playlist into RAM guaranteeing no disk activity during playback.
    Large Page Memory: superior memory management provides minimal CPU latencies.
    Maximum System Timer: reduce operating system latency by making Windows switch tasks faster. (0.5ms instead of default 15.6ms)
    Maximal Priority Scheduling: ensure uninterrupted flow of music data by running music playback at highest possible priority.
    Hibernation Mode: cancel OS ‘noise’ by eliminating dozens of jitter-inducing processes and hundreds of threads.

http://jplay.eu/

Review here http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au...er-for-windows
    It does seem to lift a veil & offers improved low end performance & better separation over what I'm hearing with Foobar, infact as good as I've heard in a player, but at some expense, in cost & ease of use in file management.

Well worth a trial if you use a Windows 7 PC set-up IMO.
    Last edited by alfie2902; 11-08-2011 at 22:03. Reason: Link repaired! Thanks Tim!
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm Dave.

Thanks Alfie, I'll give this a try.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm simon.

seems a lot of money for very little .
    i dont hear any interference whatsoever from my pc.
    playback sounds identical to my cdp.

maybe my ears are goosed!?!
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Thanks Alfie, will give this a try when I have time.

Just for info your link seems broken, so I have found it here:

JPLAY - a digital audiophile player for Windows
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Quote Originally Posted by oldson View Post
    seems a lot of money for very little .
    i dont hear any interference whatsoever from my pc.
    playback sounds identical to my cdp.

maybe my ears are goosed!?!
    I think it works out at £86 or thereabouts.

The trial is free though & there's a 32 & 64 bit version.

I didn't hear any interference or noise with Foobar either Simon, until I took it away using JPLAY! With some recordings the difference is very noticeable there seems to be a much blacker quieter background. The quiet parts seem more delicate which brings a better dymanic swing

It's easy to setup & have a play & the trial version as I say is free
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Thanks Alfie, will give this a try when I have time.

Just for info your link seems broken, so I have found it here:

JPLAY - a digital audiophile player for Windows
    Thanks Tim I've repaired the link in the OP now.
    alfie

I'm Jeff.

I've switched over from J.River to Jplay. Sound quality is worth the $ and the minor inconveniences. One happy camper here.
    FLAC -> Jplay -> Jkeny Mk3 -> Audio-GD Ref.5 -> Hornshoppe Truth -> Music Reference EM7 - Hornshoppe Horned Heils

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Quote Originally Posted by jmudrick View Post
    I've switched over from J.River to Jplay. Sound quality is worth the $ and the minor inconveniences. One happy camper here.
    Hi Jeff.

Do you use J.River's file system & just use Jplay as the player over the top?

I've just found out by email that there's a new 3.3a version of Jplay, that's suposed to be another improvement. I've also got some setup tips that i'll post up to if you're interested?

I slightly prefered J.River to Foobar when I had the 30day trial, but didn't think the difference was $50 worth. What improvement do you notice with Jplay over J.River?
    alfie

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie2902 View Post
    I think it works out at £86 or thereabouts.

The trial is free though & there's a 32 & 64 bit version.

I didn't hear any interference or noise with Foobar either Simon, until I took it away using JPLAY! With some recordings the difference is very noticeable there seems to be a much blacker quieter background. The quiet parts seem more delicate which brings a better dymanic swing

It's easy to setup & have a play & the trial version as I say is free
    i take your point.
    but i hear no difference between using my pc or cdp as transport.

i guess i have nothing to lose by trialling it, though.
    just hope it is easy to use, as i am not the best on the pc.
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm ILOB.

Tried to download the trial version but no luck The site pretty poor around resolving such issues
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast