I own a Sony SCD777ES SACD that could never beat my analogue equipement. The up to 20.000 Hz cut of the cds practically eliminates the balance of sound, the timbre of instruments, etc that are present on analogue recordings. Cds sound to me as perfect snapshots of a part but the combined snapshots miss all the balance of the original sound. Other bad things happen with the lots of microphones used by modern sound engineers ...
Anyway, I have read that Marco tweaked his Sony X-777ES by the english company Audiocom that offers various upgrades with different prices. I would be interested in what you have done.
In Italy there is a company Audiocom owned by engineer Alberto Ingoglia that offers this upgrade to this player - in his opinion one of the best together with the SCD 1ES - but he suggested not to change the original clock because it is very good and the improvement by the change isn't so sure. On the other hand the output state final of the player. Here in italian what he offers: " riprogettazione dello stadio di uscita e la sua sostituzione con un circuito totalmente a discreti, senza controreazione, pensato proprio "ad hoc" (anche il livello di uscita rimane standard) con linee di amplificazione totalmente separate per le uscite bilanciate (optional per il 777) e sbilanciate. Anche l'alimentazione di tale nuovo stadio viene di fatto riprogettata (sullo stesso circuito originale) a MosFet senza controreazione per la stabilizzazione, così come l'alimentazione del convertitore (pure a MosFet). Il cablaggio è interamente in cavo argentato ad alto spessore isolato in teflon.
E' un lavoro di altissimo livello, unico nel suo genere, e le prestazioni sonore crescono in maniera vertiginosa, raggiungendo davvero livelli assoluti, magari potrebbe iniziare a riconsiderare il confronto con la sua catena analogica... ".
The price isn't exactly cheap (about 813 pounds) for all the upgrade.
Here are some picture of the upgraded SCD1ES http://www.aurionaudio.it/Galleria%20foto%201.htm if you, please, take a look at it.

Grazie, and sorry for the quoting in italian ...