+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Record Weights on 1200MK2s: One Man's Findings

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Default Record Weights on 1200MK2s: One Man's Findings

Forgive me, I'm sure there is a thread on this already; but, I can't find it. (Mods, please move if you find it.)

So...

I've heard it argued both ways for and against using a record clamp on an SL-1200MK2 and there are valid reasons for going with either one. However, as an argument that a record weight should not be used with the stock motor/bearing because of possible added stress to the motor/bearing... ? Well, I didn't think that sounded right; so, I decided to check into it further just for my own peace of mind. This is what I found.

The motor/bearing in the SL-1500MK2's and SL-1400MK2 I have are identical save for the flange for mounting. It's been said that the platter on the 13, 14 and 1500MK2's is heavier and more substantial than the 1200MK2. Holding each platter, in a very unscientific test, it's quite apparent to me that this is true. I then looked up the platter weights in the service manuals.

SL-1500MK2 platter weight is 2.5 kg

SL-1200MK2 platter weight is 2 kg

That, of course, is a .5 kg difference. So, loading the 1200MK2 with another .5 kg would have a neglible effect on the stock motor/bearing. It would be well within the tolerances of the motor/bearing. In other words, adding (in my case) a TTWeights Classic 1 lb. (454 g) record weight would bring the weight just shy of the 1500MK2 platter without the record weight.

As mentioned before (and by others in forums), again, I have to agree that the stock 1200MK2 platter is a down grade in terms of heft from the 13/14/1500MK2's (and 150MK2). The only thing missing is the damping underneath. That MN platter is lookin' better and better everyday.

It's probably lunacy to worry about such things; but, I'm a happier gent for for gaving gone through the exercise.

I can post pictures of the two platters side by side, if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by WOStantonCS100; 06-08-2011 at 21:44. Reason: corrected figures; should've had my notes handy when originally posted... sorry
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Hi Biff

Does it sound better to you with the weight though ?
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Hi Biff

Does it sound better to you with the weight though ?
    Hey Chris,

I have to be honest. Sound tweaking, per se, wasn't the reason I initially purchased the record weight. Indirectly, I guess it was. I was having a time recording one of my LP's (Sergio Mendes - The Great Arrival). The record is a bit dished. I could hear the effects of poor and changing azimuth because of the defect. When playing the side 2, the record weight easily flattens out the record; big improvement in sound. On side 1, there is also improvement, although not as much as on side 2 because there is still space between the platter and the vinyl. However, there's a bit more stability which also improves replay.

I do prefer spinning vinyl with the weight and do think it sounds better; but, that's completely subjective. I always use the weight when recording vinyl as I like the idea of, as much as possible, restricting micro movements of the vinyl while in play. Stylus drag may have little to no effect on the 1200 platter and tightly coupling the disc to the platter just seems to make sense to me. If there are colorations added to the presentation by the weight, thus far I can live with them, considering the problems it solves.

Ooops, I'll add that, the rubbery sound of the stock mat is accentuated by the record weight. I do not like that sound. Until I definitively sort out the platter/mat I'm going to go with, I'm using a felt mat on top of the stock rubber mat. This sounds far better than stock mat, vinyl and record weight as the rubberiness has all but disappeared.

I do think too much about these things...
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

I'm gone.

I did a sound quality check with weights/clamps of various masses and types when I had a Techie tt, an SL1700 in this case.

Basically, the heavier the weight the better the sound. It wasn't subtle.

The Winner, at 0.9Kg ....

The Michell clamp was easily the poorest sounding.

__

My current tt is a Pioneer dd with suspended chassis - so I can't use silly-weight clamps as it grounds the chassis. The Revolver Pig push-on rubber clamp is ideal in such situations!
    Last edited by jandl100; 07-08-2011 at 08:43.

I'm Bernie.

If anybody is interested I just weighed my Bruil and it is 375 grams exactly.
    Last edited by Canetoad; 07-08-2011 at 09:55.
    Bernie.

I'm Neil.

My experience would match Jerry's.

The Revolver pig2 is quite good, The Bruil is quite a bit better (easily audible) and the Oyaide weight is a lot better again.

I have run these weights on a standard bearing motor 1200 with no audible issues at all, just benefits.

Regards D S D L

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Jerry's (and Neil's) experiences are spot on!

However, things change drastically when a Mike New platter is in the equation, as the heavier record weights all then 'over-mass' the pudding - and that's when the Michell clamp comes into its own...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Hmm .. interesting, Marco. (As usual! )

So, when it comes to 'clamps', you reckon it's overall platter+clamp mass that counts, not the mass sitting on top of the LP?

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    My experience would match Jerry's.

The Revolver pig2 is quite good, The Bruil is quite a bit better (easily audible) and the Oyaide weight is a lot better again.
    ... the problem with my current suspended chassis tt is that it takes very little extra weight to ground the chassis.
    So the 'screw/push-down' clamps are the only worthwhile option (lightweight mass-clamps are pretty much useless, imo).
    Have you tried a Pig, Marco? ... ime it's better by a long way than the Michell.

The Techy 13-1500MK2's are, also, suspended chassis tables. Depending on how well the rubber cup and spring have aged, using a weight on these tables would not be advisable. I'm currently doing a mad scientist experiement which involves replinthing an SL-1500MK2. Solid plinth, heavier platter (than a 1200MK2), a record weight... maybe a 12" arm?? Could be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    If anybody is interested I just weighed my Bruil and it is 375 grams exactly.
    Very interesting, indeed. I thought for sure it would outweigh the TTWeights. Looks can be deceiving.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast