+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1 channel dead on Grado PS1000!!!

I'm Retief.

Default 1 channel dead on Grado PS1000!!!

Hi guys, hope someone can help.

I've lost the one (right) channel on my Grados and I'm 99.9% certain it is a broken solder joint on the driver (why they designed them that the cup can rotate 360 degrees nobody knows - I often find the cable all wound up and knew it would be only a matter of time before the cable works itself loose!!!)

I started taking it apart, took the foam pad off and started wiggling the driver out of the metal case, but it won't go any further than a few mm and am cautios not to break anything- the wooden driver housing seems particularly brittle! I cannot find any instructions on the Internet to disassemble the driver - has anyone done this?

As a last resort, is there anyone you can recommend who offers a repair/ recabling service in the UK?

PS. Yes, they are out of warranty.

Many thanks Chivas
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

It's more likely to be a break in the cable. I lost count of the amount of internally broken cables on soooo many sets of headphones that i had to fix due to use & or lack of care over the years. This usually breaks just where it enters into what's usually a rubber strain relief on the headphones

I'm not saying it is that in your case, but it's a good probability

E2A:- I guess i should add that you'd need to get inside the headphones anyway to sort it out by shortening the cable to get past the break
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm colin.

Those cups are annoying the way they twist around freely. Bad design fault and im waiting on mine going one day.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

I'm Retief.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    Those cups are annoying the way they twist around freely. Bad design fault and im waiting on mine going one day.
    Make yourself ready for £100 - which is the cost I was quoted for the repair by Armourhome! I'm starting to wonder if it is not perhaps worthwhile spending a couple £'00 more and getting a proper after marker cable, e.g. Stefan Audioart / Cardas etc.

Paying £100 to fix the current cable (thanks to a stupid design) doesn't sit well with me!

Apparently it is quite a job to disassemble which involves the use of heat, e.g. a hairdryer to loosen the glue between the wooden casing and aluminium cup etc. Something I don't get too excited about doing to a £1800 pair of headphones!!! Perhaps the HD800 is in my future....

Chivas
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

I'm Zainul.

The design of the PS1000 does indeed make it difficult to get to the driver. Our tech has recabled one in the past and I'm sure he will attest to that!

Ideally headphones should be designed with detachable cables, makes the whole repair/upgrade scenario so much easier
    AmpCity - Calyx, Matrix, Audio Gd, Hifiman

If you've got a question about headphones, headphone amplifiers or DACs, I'm your man.

Get the best out of your headphones with our Headphone Recabling Service: http://www.ampcity.co.uk/headphone-r...e-fidelis.html

I'm colin.

Sennheisers for me next time.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

+ Reply to Thread