+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mac minis

I'm Alan.

Dave, Hi.

if you get a second-hand Mini (or any Mac) make sure you get one with an Intel processor, or you will be very - and incresingly - limited with what programmes you can run, not to mention the new operating system.

All the G4 Macs, or at least the vast majority, have PPC processors.
    Best regards, Alan
    Also playing on AudioChews

I'm Dave.

Alan

I am aware of the G4 PPC issue, but they tend to sell for much lower prices. I wouldn't want to spend a lot on them, but if such a device could be used to run a music server that'd be good. Perhaps they don't have enough oomph to do video, though. You are right about the Intel models, and there I'd either pickup one of last year's models (new if possible) because of the CD/DVD drive, or just go for the latest models, because they clearly have the best CPU performance.

However the CPU performance might well be overkill just for music, but could be very good for video, including HD video. Also, the last two models have the power supply built in (probably a good thing - neater, more convenient) and HDMI. I may shelve this idea for a while now - it's probably not urgent by any means. I could even wait for next year's model, which I'd expect to be even faster.
    Dave

I have an iMac that use to house my library but now is simply my general purpose computer, a Mac Mini which is my music server, an iPad with the Remote app and an iPod. My general computer use is fairly routine and with the Mac Mini and iPad combo I don't know if I have a need for and probably would not replace the iMac.

I love the Mac Mini in my audio system.
    (2) Lacie Quadra2 HDD>(2) Cardas Clear USB Cables>Mac Mini (AIFF-iTunes-Pure Music)>Cardas Clear USB cable>Bel Canto DAC 1.5>Cardas Clear Light XLR interconnects>Bel Canto 500S amp>Cardas Clear Sky Speaker cables>Dynaudio Chorus 220 MKII speakers

I'm Werner.

Dave,

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    I am aware of the G4 PPC issue, but they tend to sell for much lower prices
    if you plan to use it only for audio playback with iTunes, a G4 with 1 MB RAM is pretty sufficient. I recommend Mac OS X 10.4.11 and iTunes 9.2.1 (this is the latest version for G4 machines). In my opinion Mac OS X 10.5 is not required for a G4 based music server: there are better ways to backup a digitial audio library than using Time Machine (which was introduced with Mac OS X 10.5), and in the worst case a plain iTunes music server is re-installed and setup in approximately 30 minutes.

However, I do not recommend torturing a G4 Mac Mini with anything related to video recording and playback.

Werner.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by mwheelerk View Post
    I have an iMac that use to house my library but now is simply my general purpose computer, a Mac Mini which is my music server, an iPad with the Remote app and an iPod. My general computer use is fairly routine and with the Mac Mini and iPad combo I don't know if I have a need for and probably would not replace the iMac.

I love the Mac Mini in my audio system.
    Which Mac Mini do you use?

I was thinking of getting a fairly high end new one, and running all my audio and video on it. It might even be able to play iPlayer (something we have in the UK) and some high definition camera videos without stuttering into our TV, so as such it might turn out to be a good thing. We can do iPlayer already, but most of the devices we have are just dreadfully slow - Freesat box, Blu Ray, Wii etc., with some fairly painful interfaces. On the other hand, for just playing around, as Werner has pointed out, a G4 might do the job just as well for audio. Since my shares have taken a dive (no, I'm not a rich b****, just not absolutely destitute ...) I may have to shelve buying new stuff for a little while.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345