+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy resistors for cartridge loading

I'm sd.

Default Where to buy resistors for cartridge loading

Hi

Great forum, been lurking a bit but I now have a question, hope you can help!

I just managed to break one of the loading resistors on my tonearm cable (I solder it across the signal/ground inside the phono jack, which I read somewhere is the same as putting it in the preamp, makes it easier to change values and I'm too lazy to put them inside the preamp!). They are 1k ohm resistors that came with my Audio Research SP9 preamp. The 100 ohm ones don't sound as good so looks like I need to find some replacement resistors.

I'm all for 'audiophile grade' components if they make a difference but not snake oil hifi BS

Does anyone have nave recommendations (UK preferably)?

ta
    Simon
    Last edited by Hozepipe; 21-10-2008 at 18:41.

I'm InSpace.

If you want metal film type resistors you can't go far wrong with Maplins believe it or not!... No kidding!

If you fancy something a little more 'exotic' have a look round here: http://www.hificollective.co.uk/

Cheers...
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Try both metal and metal film to see which one sounds best. For critical resistor applications, get 1% or better, but the latter are a bit more expensive and harder to find.

STan

I'm Greg.

Hi Simon,

You are putting resistors in line in the most critical part of the systems circuit which is carrying the signal. The quality of resistor is important because it effects directly what you hear. In your application, the best performing component is obviously what you want albeit whats best for you may not be everyones choice or conversely, their (my) choice might not be yours. Any recommendations here must be considered in that light and you might want to experiment. My suggestions are not 'snake oil'. I'm seriously not into that.

Being a critical application I suggest you invest in quality resistors. Certainly the Maplins as suggested will do a reasonable job but you can do far better. The best R's probably can't be fitted as you currently do. I suggest stop being lazy and get inside the chassis. That would be good.

I recommend Vishay bulk foil. They are not cheap and don't fit easily as you now use your R's, hense my suggestion to get them better mounted. After that I'd go for Caddock.

Have a look at http://www.percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf Scroll down to page 12 for the Vishay. The Caddock are the pages above.

Michael Percy went off business a while ago but it seems they are going again. If you get problems it's worth checking out http://www.partsconnexion.com/

Both companies supply these quality resistors and in my trading experience are good and efficient to deal with. To date, never got stung for import duty.

Other than that, I believe what I'm suggesting is your best sound per pound. Works for me.

Best wishes,

Greg

I've had great results with the Maplins in this applications. Tolerance is +-1%.
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky, in case of snake bite and, furthermore, always carry a small snake."

Kevin

I crease up with laughter every time I read about suggestions that recommend components that are outside the official EC/EMC/VDU specifications. I also do the same when the components are within the EC/EMC/VDU specs, but are embossed with one or other expensive name. The public ( & DIYer) needs to know that they are being fleeced. Maybe a visit to a couple of Chinese production lines watching the girls loading up different packaging from different companies in the packaging machines whilst the production line rolls on might, just might, wake a few people up.

Resistance is resistance. There is no such thing as a 'better' resistance value through gold, silver, or lead. 1 ohms is 1 ohms, and so is 100K. What is important is the tolerance, wattage, and noise level of the resistance material. Anyone blew their Fututech fuse yet?

I myself had to laugh when I saw this happening with the printing machine that prints the name tag on the electrolytic caps that I use. The cost between the imprinted brand names varied, so I went for the cheapest use of ink.

STan

I'm sd.

Thanks all for the replies, very helpful. I bought some Shinkoh 1% resistors from Hifi Collective since they are in the UK, and also some Takman carbon film resistors - they were only 50p so thought I'd give them a whirl and to have a spare set. I also picked up some silver solder (because the ARC kit comes with something similar) and a pair of chassis-mount RCAs (for my power amp which has had a snapped RCA shaft for a while, been meaning to get round to fixing it...). I only really wanted resistors that are the same as/as good as those used by ARC - the preamp is full of other similar components so I don't really see that it'll make much difference but don't want something that's LESS good, obviously (though those Shinkoh did happen to be quite expensive for what they are! )

Quote Originally Posted by Hozepipe View Post
    and also some Takman carbon film resistors - they were only 50p so thought I'd give them a whirl and to have a spare set.
    Anyone ever heard of Phensic?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Can't say I have.Do tell.

I'm sd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    Anyone ever heard of Phensic?
    No but Beechams Powders are pretty much the same - I've got some in me now *cough, splutter*

Why?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast