+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758

Thread: Hi-Fi Choice mag to vanish?

I'm Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Do you chaps think HFN and HFC will merge? Seems to make sense, given the still contracting audio-retail market out there...
    Hi,

I do think this could happen but not straight away. I think the owners will give it a bit of time to see if they can revamp the mag.
    Dean

There are only two types of music. Music I own and music I don't.

I'm Jostein.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIDB View Post
    Hi,

There current issue is the Yearbook issue. They do this every year. It is mainly a reveiw of a number of items that got good reviews. The next issue (December issue) is out in 2 weeks time.
    I got my first HFN issue in the mail with this one, and it then was a fine overview for my part.

I'm Tony.

HFN and Choice will NOT be mergering one thing you can be sure of here!
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Simon.

Hifi news has been rocking of late, much improved over the Av wilderness years.

MartinT Guest

Agreed, it's my second best read after Stereophile.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - I love HFN, but I don't get on much with Stereophile.

It's too 'American hi-end' for me (understandably of course), but their biggest sin is that they don't do vintage hi-fi, which for me, because they cover the subject so well, with top-notch and interesting articles every month, is one of the main reasons why HFN is currently undergoing a resurgence.

The other one I like is HFW, but they need to give Haden Boardman more stuff to review, and less to Noel Keywood (who does come out with some primo tripe sometimes), as I like Haden's taste in kit and his style of writing, as I do that of Adam Smith and David Price.

Hi-fi Choice is of little interest to me (it's gone too mainstream for my tastes), but I wish them well all the same

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - I love HFN, but I don't get on much with Stereophile.

It's too 'American hi-end' for me (understandably of course), but their biggest sin is that they don't do vintage hi-fi, which for me, because they cover the subject so well, with top-notch and interesting articles every month, is one of the main reasons why HFN is currently undergoing a resurgence.

The other one I like is HFW, but they need to give Haden Boardman more stuff to review, and less to Noel Keywood (who does come out with some primo tripe sometimes), as I like Haden's taste in kit and his style of writing, as I do that of Adam Smith and David Price.

Hi-fi Choice is of little interest to me (it's gone too mainstream for my tastes), but I wish them well all the same

Marco.
    Stereophile has done vintage gear quite a bit in Art Dudleys column.

Regards D S D L

Is that something fairly new, Neil? As far as I remember, they didn't used to cover vintage

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dave.

They've done vintage for some years -- Garrard 301, Thorens TD 124, SPUs, EMTs, Deccas etc.

Lol - it's been years since I've read a copy!

What sort of percentage of the mag is devoted to vintage kit? Are there in-depth articles, like HFN do, covering several pages of the magazine, or is it merely a token gesture to keep vintage lovers 'on side'?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758