+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Mo' crystals

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    To me, it's ugly ! I'll never put this into my living room !!!
    Crystals are ugly to you? How about flowers? Do you find them ugly too?

What has mother nature done to you to find her ugly?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Hi All,

An interesting debate. I have to say that I am somthing of a sceptic, but I do believe that state of mind has a major influence on our perception of sound. I would certainly perceive sound differently if I have a headache compared to when I am in a 'medidative' state.

My main difficulty with these techniques is that one is always aware that one has changed something, and that introduces the possibility of placebo effect/confirmation bias or other mechanisms that effect psychoacoustic perception. Accepting that these theories aren't objectively provable or measurable in a conventional sense, how can one be certain of anything if a 'product' has a consistent beneficial effect even for individuals, much less across a population?.

I am quite comfortable with the idea that performing HiFI rituals has an effect on perception, but so does relaxation training and so do drugs of all sorts. I am just not convinced that the theories of Peter Belt et al are anything other than an attempt at rationalising a common-place experience and creating a belief system that bleads to self-affirmation of beneficial effects.

Having said all of that, I don't have any axe to grind here and certainly have no issue with people doi ng whatever they believe works for them.

Regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567