+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mo' crystals

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinfrance View Post
    We know in our hearts that mumbo-jumbo doesn't really work Special mains cables, one-way interconnects, solid silver wiring etc. etc. are all bunk.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Oh God! I suppose with this and Cillit Bang I'll be asked to take my (totally correct) HiFonoclastic opinions elsewhere.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I think if you said "some" then you might have got away with it! But don't worry, you don't get banned for not believing cables etc. can make a difference, we just have circular arguments until you're brainwashed into believing it... (JOKE - for the avoidance of doubt! ) I don't think they have as big an impact as some would believe, certainly not with the sort of modest system I have - but anyway, we're talking about crystals - and I'm now wondering about an interconnect range with plugs pre-fitted with them... Hmmmm....
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Dave.

Neutrik beat you to it :

They're Swarovski crystals though which I think are man made. So maybe that makes a difference.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm Steve.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I think if you said "some" then you might have got away with it! But don't worry, you don't get banned for not believing cables etc. can make a difference, we just have circular arguments until you're brainwashed into believing it... (JOKE - for the avoidance of doubt! ) I don't think they have as big an impact as some would believe, certainly not with the sort of modest system I have - but anyway, we're talking about crystals - and I'm now wondering about an interconnect range with plugs pre-fitted with them... Hmmmm....
    Here you go....
    Difficult to get the resonant frequency into the audible range but I suppose that doesn't matter.
    Like your setup BTW - had similar TT/arm/speakers in the 70's but gave them away.......
    How do I get rid of this pesky smiley? Worse than the bloody paperclip!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinfrance View Post
    Alex,
    I completely agree re psycho-acoustics. We know in our hearts that mumbo-jumbo doesn't really work Special mains cables, one-way interconnects, solid silver wiring etc. etc. are all bunk. Of course mechanical transducers are subject to improvement by modification although probably the results are marginal. I spent a lot of money on a custom CD transport based on the Philips CD pro with a Buffalo DAC and God knows how many low impedance power supplies etc. etc. My £200 Marantz CD6003 outperforms it probably because Marantz spent a million getting VFM.
    When I'm in a grumpy mood I hear the imperfections. In my rare mellow moments I don't. If your crystals make you think the music sounds better then good for you. Who cares how it works.
    What's difficult to ascertain is whether all the information is already there, only we're not able to perceive it unless we sufficiently relax. Say you're listening to a familiar tune, and you know it by heart, and you figure you have plumbed all the depths it has to offer. Then you go out and buy a new amplifier, and by god, you now hear details in that song that you've never heard before! The question is: are you hearing new details because your new purchase made you more receptive, more relaxed to listen attentively, or is it really due to the fact that the new amp does indeed offer heightened resolution?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Steve.

Alex,
    I believe it is because you actually listen. I'm listening to old crappy worn out vinyls from EBay and can filter out all the Rice Crispies but still hear wonderful things - a worn out Decca SXL 6220 Gottterdammerung - Fischer Diskau is incredible. Even an ancient Pathé Marconi mono of Edith Piaff (FS 1065) knocks your socks off. All the gloss and plastic of CDs goes and you hear real life stuff, warts and all.
    Obviously if you've just paid megabucks for some bit of kit it is going to sound good but I really believe once you get a system that's significantly better than the average clock radio it's what's between your ears that makes the difference, not anything to do with what goes on in the air.

I'm andrew.

Has anyone tried Dilithium crystals?
    Andy.

I'm John.

Nope, but caustic soda crystals work feckin miracles with getting the sound waves to bounce cleanly off the walls.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes, but I find that this only works on a Wednesday.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast