+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Mo' crystals

I'm May.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Yes, without a trace of a doubt, it really is that I am hearing more. What we're trying to establish in this discussion is whether I'm hearing more due to some psycho-acoustic phenomenon, or due to some phenomenon that does not depend on the subject.
    Yes, I am fully aware of the ongoing debate. This is a debate I personally have been involved in over the past 30 years.

When the sound is reported to have changed, the usual argument centres around – it must be ‘something having an effect on the audio signal travelling through the audio system’, or it must be ‘something having an effect on the room acoustics’.

Yes, obviously, some things which people do which change the sound CAN be explained under those headings, but our experiences and subsequent discoveries have shown that it can also be the human being (the listener) reacting to changes taking place in their listening environment. I am meaning here actual physical changes in the environment which trigger actual physiological (not psychological) changes in the human being (such as more tension or less tension) which can then, in turn, affect our correct resolving of all the complexities of the music.

• One event, some 28 years ago, which led Peter and I along a particular path was described in 1999 to Greg Weaver (a reviewer for the Internet audio magazine SoundStage) and in his review

• Greg Weaver's April 1999 Rainbow Foil review
    http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize041999.htm

Greg printed the majority of the description I sent to him.

I think your experiences with various crystals changing your sound might come within that area of thinking.

I.e That we (human beings) are struggling to cope in the modern environment as it is nowadays and in coping we react by going under tension (producing stress chemicals). By the things we introduce into the modern environment we can make matters worse (more tension, more stress chemicals = worse sound) or make things better (less tension, reduction of stress chemicals = better sound). In other words. With a reduction of stress chemicals possibly having an effect on the musical information being conveyed (by electro-chemicals) along the auditory nerve, more of the complex musical information can therefore reach the working memory which is then able to present a better ‘sound picture’ to the brain !!

This hypothesis would fit with your own experiences with certain crystals. That by introducing specific crystals into your listening environment they had, in turn, created conditions where your reaction was to be under less tension, therefore allowing you to resolve more of the musical information than you had been doing previously. This would also explain those instances (which you – and others - have described) when you had introduced something (or done a particular technique) and made the sound worse !!

On the different sections of Audio Asylum (Tweaks, General and Isolation Ward) variations of this argument has been discussed (argued !!) over quite a number of years. You may be aware of a few of these discussions.

Regards,
    May

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Certainly a very interesting theory, and after all, I think most would agree that music sounds better when you are less stressed and relaxed. Most would also agree a drink or two improves the sound, which is a similar effect, I imagine - more relaxed and less inhibited.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm May.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Certainly a very interesting theory, and after all, I think most would agree that music sounds better when you are less stressed and relaxed. Most would also agree a drink or two improves the sound, which is a similar effect, I imagine - more relaxed and less inhibited.

Of course that can be one aspect but that aspect is still not answering the question WHY were/are the specific crystals used by magiccarpetride (and SO many others – see the many discussions on Audio Asylum site) allowing him (and them) to hear more of the information in the music ? More information than they had been hearing before positioning the crystals.

Something is happening in the environment.

You see, when the crystals are removed, however relaxed the person had been, the person is no longer hearing that additional information they had just been experiencing.

The whole subject is far more involved than the simplistic explanations usually put forward
    i.e. It must be auto-suggestion at work.
    It must be the placebo effect.
    It must be bias.
    It must be imagination.
    It must be audio faith healing.
    It must be effective marketing - and so on.

Regards,
    May

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by May Belt View Post
    It must be effective marketing

Regards,
    May
    Effective marketing always has an effect...

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/i...l?action=Popup
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Alex.

Of course that can be one aspect but that aspect is still not answering the question WHY were/are the specific crystals used by magiccarpetride (and SO many others – see the many discussions on Audio Asylum site) allowing him (and them) to hear more of the information in the music ? More information than they had been hearing before positioning the crystals.

Something is happening in the environment.

You see, when the crystals are removed, however relaxed the person had been, the person is no longer hearing that additional information they had just been experiencing.

The whole subject is far more involved than the simplistic explanations usually put forward
    i.e. It must be auto-suggestion at work.
    It must be the placebo effect.
    It must be bias.
    It must be imagination.
    It must be audio faith healing.
    It must be effective marketing - and so on.

Regards,
    May
    Another interesting question is: why am I hearing improvements when I apply teflon tape to the three-pronged AC power cables? I don't think that introducing teflon tape into my environment would have a 'relaxing' effect (or maybe it could?)
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm May.

Another interesting question is: why am I hearing improvements when I apply teflon tape to the three-pronged AC power cables? I don't think that introducing teflon tape into my environment would have a 'relaxing' effect (or maybe it could?)
    It is difficult to condense 30 years of discussing this subject into a few sentences. You have to – initially - stop looking at the audio equipment and switch to looking at the human being and how the human being is having to cope in an increasingly adverse environment and, in that adverse environment, is trying to resolve complex musical information. THEN, when you begin to realise just what the human being is having to do, you can go back and consider the listening environment and look at what is going on in that environment.

I know you have been posting on Audio Asylum site but have you completely missed the discussions on crystals also taking place over many months on the Isolation Ward section ?

Within that section I gave examples of my concepts under the subject heading :

“some observations ( and a request for Elizabeth)” On Isolation Ward section.

You might find, after reading what I put forward in those discussions, that maybe, quite possibly, applying Teflon tape to the prongs of the AC power cables can be reducing the adverse effect of the AC power in our environment – which in turn – would have you reacting less and therefore under less tension, and therefore able to correctly resolve more of the musical information !!!!

I always refer to any effects on us (human beings) as ‘once removed’ – not a DIRECT effect on us. Meaning that such as electromagnetism, RF etc, present in the environment, is not beaming directly into or through our heads but is merely actively present in the environment – preventing us from signing off our environment as ‘safe’. And Nature (evolution) dictates that if we cannot ‘sign off our environment as safe’, then we must remain under tension until such time as we can.

Regards,
    May

I'm Alex.

It is difficult to condense 30 years of discussing this subject into a few sentences. You have to – initially - stop looking at the audio equipment and switch to looking at the human being and how the human being is having to cope in an increasingly adverse environment and, in that adverse environment, is trying to resolve complex musical information. THEN, when you begin to realise just what the human being is having to do, you can go back and consider the listening environment and look at what is going on in that environment.

I know you have been posting on Audio Asylum site but have you completely missed the discussions on crystals also taking place over many months on the Isolation Ward section ?

Within that section I gave examples of my concepts under the subject heading :

“some observations ( and a request for Elizabeth)” On Isolation Ward section.

You might find, after reading what I put forward in those discussions, that maybe, quite possibly, applying Teflon tape to the prongs of the AC power cables can be reducing the adverse effect of the AC power in our environment – which in turn – would have you reacting less and therefore under less tension, and therefore able to correctly resolve more of the musical information !!!!

I always refer to any effects on us (human beings) as ‘once removed’ – not a DIRECT effect on us. Meaning that such as electromagnetism, RF etc, present in the environment, is not beaming directly into or through our heads but is merely actively present in the environment – preventing us from signing off our environment as ‘safe’. And Nature (evolution) dictates that if we cannot ‘sign off our environment as safe’, then we must remain under tension until such time as we can.

Regards,
    May
    I actually love your explanation. Any other suggestions on how to transform our increasingly artificial environments (which are conditioning us to 'tense up') into a more 'safe' organic-like ones? (which are allowing us to 'ease up')
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm May.

I actually love your explanation. Any other suggestions on how to transform our increasingly artificial environments (which are conditioning us to 'tense up') into a more 'safe' organic-like ones? (which are allowing us to 'ease up')

To keep within my own guidelines for ‘posting’ as a member of the audio industry on various Internet audio chat forums, it is difficult for me to give full suggestions (because they would obviously be about some of our own products).

You are obviously now further along the path of understanding regarding the concept of living in an adverse environment and having to deal with what is in that environment so, basically, I would have to exaggerate here and say “Regard everything as creating adverse conditions” and to then look at how one can superimpose, on everything, ‘reassuring’ energy patterns. Just as Nature has used different techniques (and different chemicals) to provide energy patterns which convey the message “Watch out, there is danger about”, so Nature has used other techniques (and different chemicals) to provide energy patterns which convey the message “It’s OK, you can relax, the danger has gone away”.

One ‘freebie’ technique you can use is with your domestic deep freezer.

Below I have given links of two articles which describe the effect of using the freezing/slow defrost technique.

• Greg Weaver's December 1999 article on Freezing
    http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize199912.htm
    and

• If you would like to read an article by Carol Clark on ‘freezing’ technique (Issue 10 ) audioMUSINGS Please go to the link below:-
    • Issue 10 audioMUSINGS
    http://www.positive-feedback.com/ambackissues/Belt.htm

Our freezing/slow defrosting technique was described much earlier (In the late 1980s) in some UK audio magazines but this was before the Internet was in general use and are therefore not available to read on the Internet.

Start with CDs. Quite often people have two identical CDs. Especially in the late 1980s and 1990s, in the UK, various audio magazines would have a free CD on their front cover, so it was easy then to get two identical CDs very cheaply. Keep one of the CDs as the control and put the other CD in a plain plastic bag and place it in the deep freezer, certainly for a minimum of 24 hours. When you remove it from the deep freezer, allow it to return to room temperature VERY, VERY slowly – usually by placing it in a towel or a blanket. Then, listen to the ‘treated’ CD. Get used to that sound and then change over to the identical (but untreated) CD and see if you can listen to that untreated one with the same pleasure.

If you don’t have two identical CDs, then to be sure you will have somewhere a CD which, after purchasing it, you were disappointed with how it sounded and therefore now never play it. Hunt it out, check that you are still disappointed with it (soundwise – not musical content wise), then put it through the freezing/slow defrost procedure. I think you will find that it is now listenable to !!!!

If you have success with the freezing/slow defrost technique with CDs, you can progress on to interconnects.

Quite often people have spare interconnects (which may have been supplied originally with a piece of equipment) but where they are now using newer, replacement interconnects. Find a previous one in a cupboard or drawer, listen to it and see if it is still not sounding as good as the one which replaced it, then put that interconnect through the freezing/slow defrost procedure. Then, when you listen to it again, I think you will be pleasantly surprised !!

Then, if you have been having success, another article to read is :-

• Greg Weaver's July 1999 Cream Electret review
    http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize071999.htm

I think you might be able to understand even further if you can ‘throw an intellectual switch’ and look at it from a different angle. i.e Not as creating an improvement but as adverse conditions being reduced – even though it ends up by the sound being described as having ‘improved’.

Imagine a room full of beautiful antique furniture and paintings. i.e a wealth of information available. But, when you enter the room, all you can see is the furniture just in front of you because the rest of the room is full of smog – coming from (say) 100 different outlets.

But as you (or someone) gradually blocks off those outlets, one by one, you become aware of more of the beautiful antique furniture and paintings in the room. i.e you become aware of more information – but, this is the crucial point – THAT information had been there, available – in the room all the time !!

This is the concept that more and more reviewers are having to seriously consider.

As exemplified by Russell Lichter in his review of the Less Loss Blackbody device in the July 2010 issue of the Stereo Times magazine :-.

>> “Our living rooms are no exception. If we could actually see these wavelengths, we'd be claustrophobic……………. By now many of us are comfortable with phenomena that can only be theorized about, not measured. Perhaps some of us use Shakti Stones or use one or more of Peter Belt's unique applications. And theories as we've seen can fall by the wayside with the discovery of new data and new explanations. But for sure something's going on when a Blackbody is placed in proximity to my equipment, and whatever it is, it is audible…………………” <<

and as exemplified by the many reviewers of such as the Schumann Resonance device and the Stein Music device.

Even John Atkinson, editor of Stereophile (and former editor of Hi Fi News) in a lengthy discussion on the ART Synergistic devices ends up suggesting ‘that it might be the actual listener who is doing the reacting – and not the room acoustic being affected’ !!!

Phew !! You did ask magiccarpetride.

Regards,
    May

I'm notAlone.

To me, it's ugly ! I'll never put this into my living room !!!
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Steve.

Madness. Utter tosh. Of course, you are all going to now say 'have you tried it? well no, but I am not that gullible.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast