+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Denon 103 Pro and his step up

I'm Paul.

The Highphonic SUT will arrive tuesday. Unfortunately the customs needed a big part of money also

But that is allways the risk with buying outside the "EU".

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yup, it was the same for me when I bought my Denon DL-103GL and AU-310 SUT from him - but when you consider just how good some of this gear sounds/performs, compared with a lot of 'mainstream' stuff today, even when factoring in the import charges, it's still a bargain!

Anyway, drop us a not when it arrives and what your thoughts are

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

The Highphonic SUT is in it looks really nice. The sound is really really good. The rothwell headamp is unfortunately no match.

Better instrumental separation. More dynamic also. The stage is more deep.

Marco thanks for your tip

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

That was pretty quick, Paul!

Nice one, though. So glad it worked out well, as it's always a risk giving (fairly expensive) reccos to someone who's system you've never heard... I'm not surprised though that the Highphonic sounds good, as it was designed to match the Pro, so you should have real synergy at work, which is always key, IME, to getting a great sound from vinyl!

Enjoy - and yes it does look good!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

I made a deal for fast shipping i am very impatient

Lol - I'm the same! My stuff took ages to get through customs, though [nearly 3 weeks!]

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Paul.

I am still enjoying my SUT it is an magical combination. As discussed on another forum it is a good as the weakest link. Which was my headamp before.

I'm Paul.

I like my DL103Pro very much. I have an Benz Micro Glider L2 and AT33PTGII both do not give me the Joy that i have with my Denon. I am allergic for IGD they both have it and they are professionally installed.

What would be an nice upgrade of the Denon without the headache from AT and BM?

Hi Paul,

How are you? Hope you're well and staying safe!

Glad you're enjoying your 103 Pro and Highphonic SUT. It should be a very good and musically satisfying combination. In terms of IGD, it should be minimal (virtually inaudible) with ANY cartridge (and arm) that's been *fastidiously* well set-up!

However, you'll always get a little more with a conical tip, than with ellipticals or fine-lines, simply because of the nature of their stylus profiles, although with everything optimised the difference, audibly, should be negligible.

As for upgrading from the Denon, in the way you describe, firstly you must understand that you won't be able to achieve such, universally, as the 103's unique talents, musically, simply won't be automatically usurped by another cartridge, arguably more accurate, by dint of having a superior stylus - there are *always* tradeoffs!

However, if you wish to retain as much of the Denon's sound (musicality) as possible, but add a little more polish and finesse, my recommendation would be to consider cartridges from Phasemation and Miyajima (PP-300 and Takumi, respectively), as shown here and available from the website of one of our traders:

https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product...ble-cartridge/

Hugo's a top bloke and great guy to deal with, and whom I've no doubt will help you achieve your aim. Cartridges from both of said manufacturers are voiced to sound 'musical', not clinical or 'artificially hi-fi', like the products of many of today's manufacturers, so there'll be no such 'headache' to worry about!

Hope that helps

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Paul.

Hi Marco,

I am well including family. Thanks. What i find out is that i am very prone to distortion of any kind. One time during a listening session with my speakers i heard an distortion no one else could hear. Then after an sound sweap we found out that the magnets of my planar speakers was coroding and where touching the foil. Also i can hear the buzzing of the adapters of handphones. So with cartridges i am prone to distortion too. My AT and Benz Micro are more prone to IGD then my Denon. The Benz Micro is installed by an professional wo did the retipping of the Benz Micro. Also changing the anti skating made it less prone but is still there. Do you think the 2 cartridges mentioned are less prone to IGD?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast