+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pioneer PD-S505 Review

I'm Pedro.

So, how do Blu-Ray players behave as CD transports nowadays?

I have a cheap Samsung BR and it doesn't sound much different from the PD-S505. But it's annoying turning on the TV every time I want to play a CD. That and a complete lack of control over the CD.

I was thinking of getting a Pioneer BDP-150 as it also plays SACD and comes with a Coax out. Could this be an upgrade over the CD player? Will it turn on my TV to play a CD too? What about a Sony or a Denon BluRay?

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Just for you Martin.
    Thanks, Joe. Ah, that Pioneer was a thing of beauty. And to think I traded it in for an Audio Research CD transport, which was pug ugly in comparison.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fulci View Post
    I was thinking of getting a Pioneer BDP-150 as it also plays SACD and comes with a Coax out. Could this be an upgrade over the CD player? Will it turn on my TV to play a CD too? What about a Sony or a Denon BluRay?
    I have a Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray player and it, too, turns on my TV when playing a CD. Most annoying. It's not a bad transport, though, and does play SACD although it down-samples that for PCM digital output to the DAC.

However, it is not my primary source so I'm not too bothered by its idiosyncracies.

I'm gone.

Cor that PD-91 is gorgeous!

As per Yomanze's reccie, I'm now using a Pioneer DV-737 as a CD transport and it is excellent. Better than the PD-S505, imo.

I'm James.

The two Blu-Ray Players that are turning on the TV when playing a CD..........

is due I suspect to ''KURO Link'' being on. This is Pioneers name for HDMI Control (Viera Link for Panasonics, Bravia Link for Sony's etc etc).
    Turn this OFF (on both the player and the TV (I presume you both have Pioneer sets?) and the player will no longer do this. It will though not turn on the TV when you want to watch a film, you'll now have to turn the TV on manually every time you want to do this (OMG not another button press!!!).

Between you, me and these four walls (!) all current Pioneer Blu-Rays are not their own. The only thing Pioneer is the badge. Not sure about the LX55 but I don't think this is theirs either, though I could be wrong. I cannot remember exactly when it all started.

JC

MartinT Guest

I was led to believe that the LX55 is a proper Pioneer. I bought it for the picture quality, which is excellent. It does have a slight lip-sync problem via S/PDIF, though, which is annoying. I'm working on that. The TV turning on is definitely the HDMI control signal, which I leave on as it usefully switches the TV to the correct input.

I'm Pedro.

I think that just the lower models are Sharp rebadged.

I'm Mike.

Just took a good look at my PD-S505, and it was as i suspected; Mine only have an optical output...
    T'was like i remembered then... There must be different versions of'em?

Regards Mike

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    Just took a good look at my PD-S505, and it was as i suspected; Mine only have an optical output...
    T'was like i remembered then... There must be different versions of'em?

Regards Mike
    Yes there was another version with an extra SPDIF board and a coaxial out. There are a few Pioneer stable platters like this (optical out only).
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Thanks, Joe. Ah, that Pioneer was a thing of beauty. And to think I traded it in for an Audio Research CD transport, which was pug ugly in comparison.
    These are lovely bits of kit! Modded they have so much potential making a fine transport.
    I've still got a PD-S904 in the loft somewhere, not as well built as these but perform well after some work, I might give it a go when I get time.
    Cheers,
    Leo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast