+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pioneer PD-S505 Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Neil.

Default Pioneer PD-S505 Review

Recently picked up a superb condition example for £50. This player was supposed to support my CD transport needs for the rare occasions where I play CDs, and my DVD player (now only playing movies) was quite frankly appalling compared to my PC & HagUSB setup into my DAC.

Usually I've enjoyed using old Philips swingarm based machines as transports including Rotel 965BX and Marantz CD65DX (with hall motor), but the stable platter transports picked my fancy as they seem to have a cult following like the swingarms do.

The Pioneer PD-S505 was chosen for multiple reasons including:

* A higher grade transport mech than a lot of stable platter players
    * Tom Evans used it for his Precision version
    * Trichord used it as the basis for their Genesis CD player / transport
    * Dedicated coaxial SPDIF output board (more on this later)

I was disappointed as one of my reference CDs, Lamb's "What Sound", quickly showed my computer-based transport a clean pair of heels. The Pioneer PD-S505 instantly added more "weight" & "authority" and allowed my Amphion Argon2s to throw an even bigger soundstage with more delineation between performers & instruments. I guess I wanted the HagUSB combo to sound better as this is what I listen to a lot of music through.

Listening to Joni Mitchell's "Blue" on CD the vocals are much more organic and lack a slight hardness in the extreme treble that I've previously had with other transports. This CD will tear apart bright and/or sibilant systems!

Looks like I'll be using more CDs for a while!

Some more findings etc. to add as to why it does sound so good, but I think the dedicated SPDIF board will be a big factor:

I'm Andy.

Great post I fancy trying one of these as a transport based on what you have said!!

Butuz
    Quad 99 CDP-2 >> Eastern Electric Minimax Pre>> XTZ Desire AP-100 >> PMC GB1i

MartinT Guest

I always fancied a stable platter deck but after my PD-91, which was superb, I never returned to Pioneer.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I always fancied a stable platter deck but after my PD-91, which was superb, I never returned to Pioneer.
    Just for you Martin.

None legato, the original stable platter transport, dual dac... I could go on. Thing is I've been thinking of moving on to getting a bluray player and using that as a player (with external dac) simply because I don't play as many cd's these days... When I have time to sit and listen I stick some black stuff on.

I'm in limbo cos I can't find a decent none crazy priced bluray player to take the job on.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 10-09-2012 at 19:46.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Geoff.

I have two PD-S505 Precisions and find them very sweet and lucid used as transports with my Theta DAC. Nearly on a par with my Meridian 507. I think the Pioneer represent great 'sound for pound' value as a used buy. I quite like the effect the Legato Link has on the presentation.

I'm Mike.

So what you are saying here, is that i am more or less obliged to retrive my old PD-S505 from my stash? I've never listened to it in a decent setup...

/Mike

I'm Geoff.

Worth a try. The PD-S505 responds very well to a decent DAC.

I'm Pedro.

So, how do Blu-Ray players behave as CD transports nowadays?

I have a cheap Samsung BR and it doesn't sound much different from the PD-S505. But it's annoying turning on the TV every time I want to play a CD. That and a complete lack of control over the CD.

I was thinking of getting a Pioneer BDP-150 as it also plays SACD and comes with a Coax out. Could this be an upgrade over the CD player? Will it turn on my TV to play a CD too? What about a Sony or a Denon BluRay?

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Just for you Martin.
    Thanks, Joe. Ah, that Pioneer was a thing of beauty. And to think I traded it in for an Audio Research CD transport, which was pug ugly in comparison.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Thanks, Joe. Ah, that Pioneer was a thing of beauty. And to think I traded it in for an Audio Research CD transport, which was pug ugly in comparison.
    These are lovely bits of kit! Modded they have so much potential making a fine transport.
    I've still got a PD-S904 in the loft somewhere, not as well built as these but perform well after some work, I might give it a go when I get time.
    Cheers,
    Leo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast