+ Reply to Thread
Page 255 of 310 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265305 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Interesting.
    Was that in both DAC-only (fixed output) and DAC-preamp modes?

Expecting both a great DAC and a great preamp in a £100 box does seem to be pushing your luck a bit far!
    it was in Pre amp mode, I'm not dissing the XS, it was great for the money just didn't suit my needs at the time, I nearly bought another last week until I saw user211's post about the distortion which reminded me why I didn't want one

Great little DAC and not bad as a pre as long as you didn't drive it hard, for around a 100 quid it's brilliant

I'm Alan.

Was just wondering if the distortion is present because CD type levels, of 2 volts or over, were/are being fed in in pre mode.
    Could well be sending the op-amps to their supply rails, hence the distortion. I don't know what the gain is set for in the circuit.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Justin.

3 o'clock without distortion is being kind - there is some. It just isn't that bad. My first assertion of 12 o'clock is probably about right, really, when it boils down to it.

I would say there's a tech challenge there Alan. Maybe there's a market for hotroded Xiangs...

I'm gone.

Ye gods - it costs a £ton.
    Forget the pre-amp section and use it as a (imho) world class DAC with a pretty decent headphone amp thrown in gratis.

I'm Brian.

Yup, haven't tried to use the preamp section , nor the headphone output either yet . I bought the XS primarily as a DAC and I'm really very pleased with it . The valve output ( with a decent valve in it ) is exceptional
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Chris.

Going on the string title.... try this for interest?
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/cotg/1.html
    Takes QUITE a leap to be able to move from Apogees to a stand-mount speaker!
    But I found Zigmahornets (3 inch unit!) persuaded me to move from Avantgarde Duos.
    Chris.

I'm Justin.

Er... I have some M&Ds.

To swap from top flight Duettas (I suspect his nowhere near as good as mine) is insanity. The M&Ds are mere toys in comparison.

I'm gone.

Going from large to little can work surprisingly well.
    I owned Quad 63 stats for 7 years (this was before I quit work and had time for box swapping) - and then the diminutive Proac Response 2 standmount came along and sonically demolished the Quads in every way.

It's a bit different for the 6 moons guy, but I guess if you aren't much bothered by the bass power ability of the big Apogees, then going to a smaller ribbon hybrid might well work, especially if they are a better fit for the room dimensions.

I'm Chris.

Agree, Jerry. Plus-maybe a BIG plus? - is that a lot of folk don't have space to have wires strewn about, huge ('ugly'!!!) speakers, multiple black/silver boxes, etc., because they need to consider their partner's understandable concerns. Thee and me are OK!
    Funny how a big black screen on the wall is OK though, generally!

Sit back and await the 'handbags/shoes' comments? (-:
    Chris.

I'm Justin.

Not a 63 fan myself. I'd much rather have the ProAcs or a pair of 57s.

There's no accounting for anything in this hobby. My previous post was just an opinion, and I am totally biased anyway, but well qualified to state an opinion in that particular case.

+ Reply to Thread