+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 310 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Jerry,

What did you find wrong with the Hornings, incidentally? Did you try them with valves? Just curious as I've always wondered how they'd sound driven by a nice P/P valve amp

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Hi Marco
    The Hornings were just too coloured for my musical tastes, and not large scale enough for classical music, and not deep enough or taut enough in the bass. After a few days all I was hearing was the colourations!

Yup, tried valves - Leak Stereo 20 and my OTLs. The OTLs didn't sound good at all - but the Zeuses were 6 ohm nominal dipping to 4 ohms - and OTLs really don't like that sort of load at all. But even the Leak was easily outshone by my MF A370. Not what I had expected.

I guess I am just more of a 'monitor' sort of a guy ... I doubt I'll be repeating the Horning-type route again. I can hear why some folks love their Fostex and Lowther drivers, but they are not for me.

I'm gone.

My latest toy arrived yesterday ... took a while to get it motoring as it has smaller than usual output pins and my headshell tags required careful squeezing to close them up a little ... but now it's really singing

I'm Nick.

Nice picture, Jerry. How does it sound?
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Paul.

Hi Jerry,

I see you have a Behringer Ultra Curve. Did you use this with the RTA Room Correction and what did you think of it??

Cheers
    ~Paul~

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Hi Jerry,

I see you have a Behringer Ultra Curve. Did you use this with the RTA Room Correction and what did you think of it??

Cheers
    Hi Paul

It's a Behringer DEQ2496. Yes, I've used it as a room correction device and I think very highly of it ... but only when used in pure digital mode - the ADC and DAC aren't bad but not that good, either.

It's out of circuit at the moment as everything sounds quite well balanced. But it came into its own when I had a pair of Dali Skyline 1000 open baffle ribbon hybrids. Their 12 inch open baffle woofer was giving +15dB bass peaks in my room - but the DEQ2496 sorted that out very nicely.

Most recently I was using it to increase the roll-off of a REL Strata 5 subwoofer. For my tastes ALL subs roll off way too slowly into the mids, and the Behringer was a neat and easy way to knock 30dB off the sub's midrange output!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Nice picture, Jerry. How does it sound?
    Very pleasing, indeed. I've always loved the sound of Dynavectors - I started off with a DV23RS, then a DV17D2 (I had 2 of those!), then a DV-XX1L.

Just wonderfully natural music makers, to my ears. Fast and detailed but tonally rich - quite a rare combination in my experience. Along the way, I've wandered in to Ortofons and a Denon and Roksan/Goldring, but I always return to DVs somehow! They just sound right to me.

I'm Paul.

Thanks Jerry for the info,

Are you saying that the Behringer adds its own character to things? I was looking into using it for room correction for the whole system - digital & vinyl.

I'm wondering if the pro's of room correction outway the cons of the DSP. Just to clarify by room correction I mean using the calibration mic to measure the room and then the Behringer to automatically compansate for it ala Lyndorf on the cheap.
    ~Paul~

I'm gone.

Thanks Jerry for the info,

Are you saying that the Behringer adds its own character to things? I was looking into using it for room correction for the whole system - digital & vinyl.
    I think that using its digital inputs and outputs it is pretty much transparent. I.e. between digital source and your own fancy DAC. In which case I strongly recommend the Behringer.

But if you use its analog ins/outs for a vinyl setup or from an integrated CDP's analog outputs, then you have to use the Behringer's frankly mediocre onboard ADC and DAC. Not so good.

Just to clarify by room correction I mean using the calibration mic to measure the room and then the Behringer to automatically compensate for it ala Lyndorf on the cheap.
    Yup, that's what I mean, too.

I don't recommend you use the auto-correction though - do it manually for much better results.

I'm gone.

Default New TT !!

A lovely New Year prezzie to me

I just can't believe how cool this looks - and it sounds great, too!

A Denon DP-62L.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 310 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast