+ Reply to Thread
Page 257 of 310 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267307 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    No DAC fight here I've been around this game long enough to know what I like and the XS suits me just fine . Maybe my old ears are playing tricks on me , who cares , I like what I'm hearing from both outputs .

I use this DAC with a big old Sony integrated so no preamp section or volume control needed .

I have tried several good mains cables with this DAC and they all provided me with an improvement . Is everyone here using the supplied mains cable . Mines went in the bin
    I did use a fancy mains cable with it, as it happens. Don't get me wrong I thought it was an impressive sounding DAC, just not quite all the way there. But having the pre-amp section in or out of circuit is going to make a difference, as is using the valve buffer or not (I didn't). The mains cable bit we will have to disagree on
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Brian.

How's the WE valve sounding Jerry ? Or have I missed your evaluation of it somewhere else . IIRC Justin thought it was very good .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm gone.

How's the WE valve sounding Jerry ?
    I only popped it in about 15 minutes ago.

The 1 emoji review would be

I'm Brian.

Sorry , I wasn't sure if you had tried this valve before . A little mini review would be most welcome
    Last edited by brian2957; 02-04-2018 at 11:22.
    Regards
    Brian

I'm gone.

The Western Electric 396A as kindly loaned by Justin (they seem to be sold in matched pairs) takes the valve output sound significantly ahead of the ss output. Before it was close with some types of music benefiting from the valve output, others not. Now it's head & shoulders ahead.
    No way is Justin getting it back.
    They are available on US eBay for about £100 a pair plus shipping (& import taxes).

Sound is noticeably more vivid and spatially defined. Going back to my previously-loved Reflektor valve, much though I enjoyed it, that now sounds kind of grey and vague.
    It obviously gives out very pleasant distortions.
    Last edited by jandl100; 02-04-2018 at 11:27.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...ibit-dac.2319/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...mplifier.2451/

The second link has a tear-down which reveals some poor engineering practice. Okay it isn't a DAC but it is indicative of what you are getting for your money. Or not getting, as the case may be.

How are you bypassing the volume control on the Xiang? There was no easy way to do that on the version Jerry lent to me.
    I don't believe the 10 bit resolution bit in any way, shape or form. I therefore surmise I don't trust anything that guy has said about the Schitt Modi in any way, shape or form.

You can simulate bit depth in JRiver. 10 bits sounds absolutely chronic. The guy is talking out of his arse, or is a complete idiot, or has a very faulty unit.

I'm Brian.

Gawd , I was hoping you weren't going to say that Jerry

Anyone got a Western Electric 396A valve they'd like to sell me
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Justin.

Yeah that WE is killer. I don't think it will be possible to do much better.

Even Tom said the XS has something. It definitely does, with caveats that for a £100 DAC are excusable in my book.

Martin how to switch between preamp and fixed output is covered earlier in the thread.

I'm Grant.

jerrys one had the pre in the circuit. its just jumpers, but it is not really advised to use it that way apparently as that is the pre used for headphones. i would quite like to retry it tho, as it would add convenience as otherwise i have to jiggle 3 vc's ... my speakers are so easy to drive it should work fine. i just cant manage it at moment
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Gawd , I was hoping you weren't going to say that Jerry

Yeah, me, too!

Mind you, I've asked Justin for a price but he hasn't got back to me on that yet.

+ Reply to Thread