+ Reply to Thread
Page 259 of 261 FirstFirst ... 159209249257258259260261 LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,590 of 2610

Thread: New speakers and amps

I'm Jerry.

... and a more extended view - with, far left, my new DAC peeping into the pic.

A SMSL M8 DAC with a Chinese linear PSU (with the large red LED voltage display).
    The DAC is only just larger than a pack of playing cards but it has a serious tech-spec and it sounds seriously good. The PSU was a very effective upgrade (only about 50 direct from PRC).
    The Review of the M8 DAC that tempted me into trying it when one came along used on eBay.
    It's a shame that the DAC is silver and the PSU is black but hey-ho.
    I connect the DAC to my music streaming laptop via a Halide Bridge USB to digital co-ax converter.

Bottom left is my ancient Arcam DV29 DVDP, for DVDs and also used as a rather good CD transport.
    Jerry

Qobuz 16/44 streaming, Topping D30 DAC with lpsu, Herron VTSP-2 valve preamp, Trigon TRE 50M monoblocks, MBL 116F speakers.

Cables: Wireworld Starlight USB, Ixos Ixotica i/c, W&M speaker cables, Belden 19364 mains cables

I'm Brian.

How does it compare to the XS DAC Jerry ?
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server .
    DAC 3 French DAC
    Amplifier : Rega Brio R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Chord Epic Twin

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    ... and a more extended view - with, far left, my new DAC peeping into the pic.

A SMSL M8 DAC with a Chinese linear PSU (with the large red LED voltage display).
    The DAC is only just larger than a pack of playing cards but it has a serious tech-spec and it sounds seriously good. The PSU was a very effective upgrade (only about 50 direct from PRC).
    The Review of the M8 DAC that tempted me into trying it when one came along used on eBay.
    It's a shame that the DAC is silver and the PSU is black but hey-ho.
    I connect the DAC to my music streaming laptop via a Halide Bridge USB to digital co-ax converter.

Bottom left is my ancient Arcam DV29 DVDP, for DVDs and also used as a rather good CD transport.
    ive got the m6 jerry. its rather good dac/headphone amp, but can be used as a dac too as it has rca's out. improved a bit on battery too.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    No DAC fight here I've been around this game long enough to know what I like and the XS suits me just fine . Maybe my old ears are playing tricks on me , who cares , I like what I'm hearing from both outputs .

I use this DAC with a big old Sony integrated so no preamp section or volume control needed .

I have tried several good mains cables with this DAC and they all provided me with an improvement . Is everyone here using the supplied mains cable . Mines went in the bin
    Hi Brian,

I've put a "fancy" mains cable on the XS DAC and I too found a significant improvement to its performance. So much so that I bought the XS DAC. It's actually a very good unit now.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK5 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken & Tesla Valves)
    Digital: NONE
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 & Monarchy Audio SM-70 Class A Amplifier
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & NEW SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

I'm tired.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    New preamp - Herron VTSP-2.
    Better then the puresound Jerry?

I'm Jerry.

I much prefer it.
    The Herron is a medium to long term keeper for me, the Puresound never really held my interest. It's obviously a very good pre, it just didn't sit right in my system.
    Jerry

Qobuz 16/44 streaming, Topping D30 DAC with lpsu, Herron VTSP-2 valve preamp, Trigon TRE 50M monoblocks, MBL 116F speakers.

Cables: Wireworld Starlight USB, Ixos Ixotica i/c, W&M speaker cables, Belden 19364 mains cables

I'm Jerry.

Double post
    Jerry

I'm Jerry.

"New" today.
    A nice bit of vintage.

I have blocked ears at the moment due to an ear infection, but initial impressions are hopeful and positive!
    Can't wait for my ears to clear up.
    Jerry

I'm Geoff.

Blimey, that's a blast from the past Jerry. I've had a few pairs, bought the first brand new around 1973. They sound quite nice, a little less immediate than electrostatics and they are not the most sensitive phones around. They must be rare now.

The sound from my vintage Yamaha HP-1 Orthodynamic headphones is pretty similar.

I'm Grant.

remember yamaha making those but not wharfedale
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

+ Reply to Thread