+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 310 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Best pre I've heard is Nick's two-box affair. Not cheap though!

I'm gone.

Wassat then, Ali?

I've had a few pre's here over the last little while and taken the Krell on a visit, and it has seen off all comers so far!

I've always got cables and supports to play with. ... in fact, a Mark Grant power lead should be winging its way to me as I type this.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

It's Nick's own design. I certainly haven't heard as many pres as you Jerry, but this is just head and shoulders above anything else I've heard. Quite often the difference between good preamps is pretty subtle, at least at first, but it was just immediately apparent that this was so much better than anything else. Very very good indeed, and if I had the necessary, I'd have one in a heartbeat!

I'm gone.

Nick? .... which one is that then?

MIR !! - more information required.

I'm Mark.

That'll be Mr Goram (Lurcher) I think.
    Mark

I'm Nigel.

Hi Ali,

Are you talking about Nick's pre that we heard at the last Eggfest? or has he designed an even better one?

If it is indeed the Eggfest amp all I can say is that I have seen it and listened to it and it is very special.

Nigel

I'm gone.

Is there a thread or some info about this mystery pre?

I bet it doesn't have remote control, which would make it a for me!

I'm Mark.

Get a stick and some gaffer tape.
    I know what you mean, though. I tend to turn the volume up and down depending on the track. Couldn't buy owt without remote volume control.
    Mark

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylspinner View Post
    Hi Ali,

Are you talking about Nick's pre that we heard at the last Eggfest? or has he designed an even better one?

If it is indeed the Eggfest amp all I can say is that I have seen it and listened to it and it is very special.

Nigel
    It wasn't at the last one, but the one before I think.

Jerry, yes, it's Lurcher you need to speak to. There was no RM on the first one, but I'm sure Nick could add it if you wanted.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Drat.
    I suspect you are correct, Marco.
    Hehehe... It's a bad habit I'm trying to kick!

This is by far the best CDP I have heard.
    Another keeper, I suspect.
    ... what with my MBL speakers, my Krell pre, my Parasound power amp and now the RA CD50 my boxswapping options seem to be closing down. I guess there is room for improvement on the pre-amp front, but at what cost? - the Krell is darn good and synergises wonderfully with the power amp and speakers.
    Maybe you're simply reaching the end of a long journey to finding your nirvana?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread