+ Reply to Thread
Page 256 of 310 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266306 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

montesquieu Guest

Just to pick up on a few strands in this thread ...

Went round to Justin's this afternoon for a bit of a play. I probably shouldn't have been surprised (given what I know about Chris's musical preferences) but I was actually quite taken aback at the commonalities between his Apogees and big Tannoys dual concentrics in terms of room-energising scale, and fleshy, bold presentation. (Also love his monster 211s which I'm sure would drive any Tannoys beautifully). Quite different in weight and colour palate to any Quads I've owned, or indeed any panel speaker I've heard previously, perhaps with the exception of some 60,000 Euro Silbertones one at the Munich show. (Which interestingly were also driven by push-pull 211s ... hmmm).

However on the Xiang Sheng DAC ... this was definitely throwing out some distortion which was especially apparent on classical vocals. Whether this is a characteristic of the DAC or whether it's a fault in Justin's own one I'm not clear on but there's definitely something up with what we were hearing. The distortion went away when we put in my Schiit Modi Multibit, though from cold, it sounded very grey in comparison to the Chinese DAC ... thankfully the colour came back after about 30 mins, the Schiit does run quite hot after a period so do I wonder if there's some class A circuitry in the output stage that needs bringing up to temperature before proper listening. Anyone else having issues with the Xiang Sheng?

I'm Grant.

Seems to depend on having the vc in circuit or not, distortion wise. I don't get any at my levels but Ive not used the pre in it except for headphones
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Brian.

I use the XS strictly as a DAC . I also listen to my music at fairly low levels and can't say that I've heard distortion .

I've also had Gary ( gazjam ) and Tony ( wee tee cee ) over recently while the XS has been in my system and neither have mentioned hearing any distortion .

As I say I've only ever used the XS as a DAC . However , I found that the addition of Jerry's Reflektor valve and a decent mains cable improved things no end .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm gone.

Distortion from the XS DAC?
    No, none.
    I don't listen to a lot of vocals but I do some. (Kathleen Battle the other day in Brahms' German Requiem - ahhhh, gorgeous!)
    I do listen to a lot of chamber music, and violins etc are just wonderfully "right".
    Strange, very strange.

Still - if ya dinnae like it, dinnae use it!

I'm Martin.

With the volume pot over half way you can hear it. It is pretty obvious. I'd recommend bypassing the pre-amp section altogether and just using it as a DAC with a proper pre-amp since it is probably adding distortion at all volume levels. Although there was no option to do that on the one Jerry lent me without getting into the internals. Of course at lower levels it just makes the sound more 'interesting' rather than obviously flawed, but I could still hear it on more demanding programme.

The Schitt probably runs hot due to poor build quality.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

Those speakers were Silberstatic Nr 8, Tom. When I was in there I didn't hear any sign of any real low bass coming from them (can't see any specs on their website), though they were huge and filled the room. Note all I heard was rock music on them, though with Fatty Freddy on the listen. Pretty sure they were 833s, not 211s. See video wot I shot. With that material I didn't like 'em much. But with something decent who knows.

Next time you swap valves, post a picture of your boards on this thread, or at least post the revision number. We won't really be able to deduce much unless that is done.

Note again I am NOT in preamp mode. Nor was I when Tom was here.

Why to you say that about the Shitt build quality? What aspect would you think causes it?

DAC fight, DAC fight, DAC fight.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

Note again I am NOT in preamp mode. Nor was I when Tom was here.

Why to you say that about the Shitt build quality? What aspect would you think causes it?

DAC fight, DAC fight, DAC fight.
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...ibit-dac.2319/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...mplifier.2451/

The second link has a tear-down which reveals some poor engineering practice. Okay it isn't a DAC but it is indicative of what you are getting for your money. Or not getting, as the case may be.

How are you bypassing the volume control on the Xiang? There was no easy way to do that on the version Jerry lent to me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Brian.

No DAC fight here I've been around this game long enough to know what I like and the XS suits me just fine . Maybe my old ears are playing tricks on me , who cares , I like what I'm hearing from both outputs .

I use this DAC with a big old Sony integrated so no preamp section or volume control needed .

I have tried several good mains cables with this DAC and they all provided me with an improvement . Is everyone here using the supplied mains cable . Mines went in the bin
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm gone.

To satisfy Justin's curiosity, here's a pic of my XS's innards (with the newly installed WE valve)

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    No DAC fight here I've been around this game long enough to know what I like and the XS suits me just fine . Maybe my old ears are playing tricks on me , who cares , I like what I'm hearing from both outputs .

I use this DAC with a big old Sony integrated so no preamp section or volume control needed .

I have tried several good mains cables with this DAC and they all provided me with an improvement . Is everyone here using the supplied mains cable . Mines went in the bin
    What mains cable you using Brian?

+ Reply to Thread