+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 310 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    You're unbelievable, JERRY.

There can't be many dealers that change their stock as frequently as you do.

Maybe you ARE a closet dealer, but if all this box-swapping is driving you to religion......................

Beethoven's 'Choral' should sort things out and put class A solid state electronics to the test (and your neighbours too, no doubt !)
    Yup. There can be no doubt that Jerry does have a problem.

However, as Jerry already clearly says he's 'an unrepentant box-swapper', this does rather call into the question the truth of the saying that the firsts step to dealing with a problem, is admitting that you have one.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    Yup. There can be no doubt that Jerry does have a problem.
    Problem? Nope, I ain't got no problem, guv.

I just need my next hifi fix! .... NOW!

It's true that I do spend most of my time peering out the window looking for the next courier van to appear ....

Just hooked up my new XLO digital balanced cable, and yesterday eve plumbed in my new Acurus A250 amp .... now where is that Quad 77 amp for my conservatory system? .... damn couriers ....

I don't know why but I always assumed that Unico Pre was alot smaller.

Let me know when you're about to sell please mate

p.s. it's the bloke who mailed you the other day about your old EAR preamp
    Last edited by Marc B; 26-10-2009 at 15:26.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc B View Post

I don't know why but I always assumed that Unico Pre was alot smaller.

Let me know when you're about to sell please mate

p.s. it's the bloke who mailed you the other day about your old EAR preamp
    Hi Marc

Yep, the UnicoPRE is not small.

No plans to sell yet -it's bloody good, the best I've heard, I reckon!

I'm gone.

Martin Logan Scenario hybrid electrostatics.

OMG - but these are seriously cute!

4 foot tall and as neat and well-formed as they come.

I picked them up yesterday - another eBay curiosity purchase.

I've never got on with ML hybrids (the full range CLSiiz stats I had earlier this year are really a quite different category of speaker). I've had several dealer dems over the years and all I have heard suffer from lack of integration between stat panel and bass cone woofer. Various comments on t'internet and a fairly rave review (http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-lo...dspeakers.html) implied that the baby of the range, the Scenario, might do things better. An eBay auction with a start price of £495 only attracted 1 bidder - me - Lord knows why - these retail at £2k ... . Very nice condition - pretty much Minty, really - but no boxes so pick-up only - maybe that was the reason for the lack of interest?

Early days yet, but bass/stat integration seems extremely good - it hasn't arisen as an issue at all in my listening so far (admittedly only a few hours).

Heh, these can really pump out the decibels, and the 8 inch bass is taut and fast - which is essential for keeping up with the electrostatic mid/tweeter panel (the x-over point is 500Hz).

They sound good just plunking them down where they fit in - will need to move my big Infinity ribbon hybrids out of the way to give the MLs room to breathe and optimise the placement.

Sadly, my Melody SP3 valve amp (38wpc) is simply not up to the task of driving these, bass is weak and the overall result is a very bright and squeaky sound.
    They work extremely well with one of my Behringer A500 amps though - 120wpc and detailed, clean and powerful. Sadly, the Scenarios are only single-wired so I can't bi-amp with my two A500's.

They have exceeded my expectations so far - but there is a fair bit more work to do to set them up properly, I suspect.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Very nice Jerry! Presumably then the A500's can't be run in bridged mono mode?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Very nice Jerry! Presumably then the A500's can't be run in bridged mono mode?
    Yes - they can - which is where the A500 moniker comes from - a (probably over-optimistic) 500W in bridged mode.

But as I understand it, with low impedance loads like MLs, bridging is not a wise thing to do .... I'm happy (and eager) to try it if folks think it is a safe thing to do .... thoughts, anyone?

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Yes - they can - which is where the A500 moniker comes from - a (probably over-optimistic) 500W in bridged mode.

But as I understand it, with low impedance loads like MLs, bridging is not a wise thing to do .... I'm happy (and eager) to try it if folks think it is a safe thing to do .... thoughts, anyone?
    Ah, I see - I wasn't aware of that so PLEASE don't try on my account!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm gone.

Latest acquisition chez-Jerry.

I fancied a bit of a change from the mainly valve-based systems I've been enjoying recently - I thought this would fit the bill nicely!

A very different presentation to what I have been used to ... but some fiddling with cables and speaker position and it is now singing very sweetly indeed.

Fine detail is probably the best I have ever heard in my setup, but not a pleasant or musical sound initially - a tendency to brightness (sorted with a cable change) and a 2D soundstage (sorted by re-positioning and toeing in the speakers).

My Unison Research UnicoPRE valve pre-amp is now up for sale.

I'm gone.

Oh, and this has come along recently, too ... very nice indeed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 310 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast