+ Reply to Thread
Page 298 of 310 FirstFirst ... 198248288296297298299300308 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,980 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

  1. #2971
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: North Down /Northern Ireland/ UK

    Posts: 18,553
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    There's one more point I want to make.

    I think many remember cheap Japanese integrated amps from the 70s and 80s and tend to lump contemporary Japanese gear in with how these units used to sound. Which in many cases just wasn't great in any way, shape or form.

    At least level, at least, nothing could be further than the truth these days.
    Spot on. Its way too easy to fall into that way of thinking, because few have had a chance to hear such equipment.
    Regards Neil

  2. #2972
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 5,366
    I'm Justin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Spot on. Its way too easy to fall into that way of thinking, because few have had a chance to hear such equipment.
    I had a whiff or two at Munich, rationalising why the Luxman rooms have sounded very good with really relatively modest speakers for the show but expensive (for Luxman but cheap for the show) amps.

    It became pretty obvious the amps were a cut above.

    It gave me the confidence to take a punt on the amp.
    How you did a selfie 30 years ago....

  3. #2973
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Forest of Dean, Glos

    Posts: 11,171
    I'm Jerry.

    Default

    New amps chez-Jerry.

    The Vincent SV-234 is my main amp now. Very impressed so far. Power with grace and subtlety.
    I've had a biggish Vincent amp on my Want List for years. It's finally here.
    And, unlike Justin's new baby, I can actually lift it!

    And also a re-furbed Cambridge Audio P110, a Stan Curtis design from the early days. I bought it as a bit of fun to stand-in during the period between main amps.
    It sounds remarkably clean, transparent and detailed when the tape input is used - that bypasses the preamp section and really clarifies and opens things up.
    But no, it doesn't have the sheer whump of Vinnie or match its tonal richness. I suspect the new components are still bedding in, I shall leave it "cooking" with a spare output from the Benchmark DAC and I shall return to it now and then.
    A useful spare to have around.

    Jerry

    Internet streaming > Yulong DA8 DAC > Crayon CFA-1 integrated amp > MBL 116F speakers
    Cables - Morrow Audio MA4 interconnects, DNM Precison 2 & Resolution bi-wire speaker cables, Wireworld Starlight USB.

    Internet streaming > Audiolab MDAC > TPA3116 amp > Infinity Cascade 9 speakers & Jamo SUB200

  4. #2974
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 20,465
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    New amps chez-Jerry.

    The Vincent SV-234 is my main amp now. Very impressed so far. Power with grace and subtlety.
    I've had a biggish Vincent amp on my Want List for years. It's finally here.
    And, unlike Justin's new baby, I can actually lift it!

    And also a re-furbed Cambridge Audio P110, a Stan Curtis design from the early days. I bought it as a bit of fun to stand-in during the period between main amps.
    It sounds remarkably clean, transparent and detailed when the tape input is used - that bypasses the preamp section and really clarifies and opens things up.
    But no, it doesn't have the sheer whump of Vinnie or match its tonal richness. I suspect the new components are still bedding in, I shall leave it "cooking" with a spare output from the Benchmark DAC and I shall return to it now and then.
    A useful spare to have around.

    I have a P50 with matching T55 tuner in my collection. The tuner is very good. However both are now only kept as examples of stylish British audio designs of the early '70s.
    Barry

  5. #2975
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 40,450
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    And I have a P80. It too sounds very good.
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

  6. #2976
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Forest of Dean, Glos

    Posts: 11,171
    I'm Jerry.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I have a P50 with matching T55 tuner in my collection. The tuner is very good. However both are now only kept as examples of stylish British audio designs of the early '70s.
    The P110 is very much more than that and imho can easily hold its own against present day amps.
    Bypass the pre section and it's a genuinely class act.
    I do agree that it looks seriously cool, though!
    Jerry

    Internet streaming > Yulong DA8 DAC > Crayon CFA-1 integrated amp > MBL 116F speakers
    Cables - Morrow Audio MA4 interconnects, DNM Precison 2 & Resolution bi-wire speaker cables, Wireworld Starlight USB.

    Internet streaming > Audiolab MDAC > TPA3116 amp > Infinity Cascade 9 speakers & Jamo SUB200

  7. #2977
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 5,366
    I'm Justin.

    Default

    Yeah where to put my new amp is a bit of a problem given I want to keep it.

    Vinnie sounds a bit gangsta...
    How you did a selfie 30 years ago....

  8. #2978
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Forest of Dean, Glos

    Posts: 11,171
    I'm Jerry.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Yeah where to put my new amp is a bit of a problem given I want to keep it.
    You need to take over the upstairs living room.
    And those Aps will look stunning at each side of that big picture window.

    Just do it.
    It'll be a nice surprise for Gillie when she gets home from work.
    Jerry

    Internet streaming > Yulong DA8 DAC > Crayon CFA-1 integrated amp > MBL 116F speakers
    Cables - Morrow Audio MA4 interconnects, DNM Precison 2 & Resolution bi-wire speaker cables, Wireworld Starlight USB.

    Internet streaming > Audiolab MDAC > TPA3116 amp > Infinity Cascade 9 speakers & Jamo SUB200

  9. #2979
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 5,366
    I'm Justin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    You need to take over the upstairs living room.
    And those Aps will look stunning at each side of that big picture window.

    Just do it.
    It'll be a nice surprise for Gillie when she gets home from work.
    That idea would result in massive screaming and instant death...

    https://youtu.be/uN1CluIo30o
    How you did a selfie 30 years ago....

  10. #2980
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Forest of Dean, Glos

    Posts: 11,171
    I'm Jerry.

    Default

    Turned Vinnie on this morning (wonderful to have a front mounted power switch!!), sounded cold and clinical and a bit grainy. .
    Over the next 10 minutes I heard it gradually warm up and get into its stride.
    I've never heard such an obvious warm-up period before.
    Jerry

    Internet streaming > Yulong DA8 DAC > Crayon CFA-1 integrated amp > MBL 116F speakers
    Cables - Morrow Audio MA4 interconnects, DNM Precison 2 & Resolution bi-wire speaker cables, Wireworld Starlight USB.

    Internet streaming > Audiolab MDAC > TPA3116 amp > Infinity Cascade 9 speakers & Jamo SUB200

+ Reply to Thread



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •