+ Reply to Thread
Page 307 of 310 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,070 of 3091

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm gone.

Don't think I mentioned it getting nicer, just betterer.

lordmortlock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    So, the Big Duel between the Crayon CFA-1 & Krell 400xi solid state integrated amps.

28wpc vs 290wpc* of KrellPower. (* according to Stereophile, who measured one).
    And yes, you can hear that difference.
    The Krell just cruises through the biggest dynamic swings with my ~86dB/W speakers.
    The Crayon does surprisingly well up to about mezzo forte and then starts getting a bit confused, rough and squealy. although for momentary dynamic peaks the Crayon seems able to draw on an unexpected reservoir of power, but it can't maintain that.

Apart from the high power presentation thing, it's fairly even stevens between them.
    Tonally very similar, I would call them neutral.
    Hi rez and fast.
    Good to very good at 3D soundstage, well focussed images, with tonal colouring well presented, taut well defined bass.
    Very transparent and open sounding.
    Both are a real pleasure to listen to.

And then, after a few hours of being powered up, the Crayon starts to stretch its legs - and seemingly quite suddenly the Crayon opens up in both 3D imaging and tonal texture.
    The first few times I listened to the Crayon, well, I was about ready to prepare the eBay listing to sell the thing. It was good, but anything it could do was matched by the Krell, and then add in the unlimited dynamic power of the Krell and on balance there was no real contest tbh.

Then came the day when it was pissing down with rain and we were staying in, so the Crayon stayed on all day.
    It was early afternoon, when I suddenly looked up and thought "wtf?!?". Transformation, big time. It was the texture of the sound that had suddenly deepened with a whole new layer of subtle resolution being presented. This in turn enhanced the soundstage/image presentation - my speakers are good at the disappearing act, but with the warmed up Crayon this improved even further, and not by a little.

Both Krell and Crayon are very good "low-high-end" amps, if you know what I mean.
    Then the Crayon warms up, and steps up to another level of subtlety and deeply textured musical conviction with big dollops of palpable presence.

No, it would need more efficient speakers than mine to do real justice to heavy metal or electronic dance, let alone big orchestral climaxes.
    I can easily imagine some other folks having different musical priorities and favouring the Krell, but for 95%+ of the music I listen to I suspect the Crayon is the best amp I have owned so far.

Jake (lordmortlock) knows my audio and musical tastes well, I bought the Crayon amp from him and he won't be at all surprised by my reaction to it, I think!
    Absolutely. Funnily enough I thought of you as soon as I heard it.

Interestingly I’m missing the crayon far more than I thought I would. Agree re the warm up period, and I simply wasn’t getting enough use out of it to get to the good stuff for long enough, but I’d have it back in a heartbeat. It doesn’t sound like any other amp I’ve heard.

So no need for eBay when it’s eventually time to move it on Jerry, I’ll definitely be evoking the buy back clause! :-)

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmortlock View Post
    So no need for eBay when it’s eventually time to move it on Jerry, I’ll definitely be evoking the buy back clause! :-)
    OKey-dokey.

So, I have a buyer for the Crayon and a definite expression of interest for the Krell.

A box swapper's dream come true.

I'm gone.

Cables are funny things with the way they interact with kit.

I like the Krell with the RS Audio Duet silver/palladium hybrid interconnects, and the Crayon with the Black Cat Neo Morpheus copper cables. I seem to have settled on these for the moment.

Speaker cables chez-Jerry are in a bit of a state of turmoil, with various options being trialled.
    More on this anon when the frenzy eases up a bit.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    OKey-dokey.

So, I have a buyer for the Crayon and a definite expression of interest for the Krell.

A box swapper's dream come true.
    No I will deffo have the Krell off you. I don't know how much longer mine's going to be in the shop but I'm fed up with slumming it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Jerry,

Macca has been hoping I flog my Krell for weeks lol, Sell him this one and help him out, poor chap

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No I will deffo have the Krell off you. I don't know how much longer mine's going to be in the shop but I'm fed up with slumming it.
    Ok
    Gosh, I hadn't realised yours was still on the sick list.

I need to find a box for it, it didn't come with one. I had to go collect it.
    And it's an 18 inch square, or something like that, so not easy!

.... Assuming I do part with it. It's been on my Want List for many years.

I'm Martin.

No worries Jerry. Hopefully mine won't be in bits for much longer. But I still intend to get another Krell as a spare so if you do decide to sell at some point give us a shout.

I remember waiting for you to move on the Parasound as I fancied that but when it didn't look like you were going to ever part with it I bought summat else. Then about 3 days later you put it up for sale.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No worries Jerry. Hopefully mine won't be in bits for much longer. But I still intend to get another Krell as a spare so if you do decide to sell at some point give us a shout.

I remember waiting for you to move on the Parasound as I fancied that but when it didn't look like you were going to ever part with it I bought summat else. Then about 3 days later you put it up for sale.
    Ah, that Parasound was nice. 18 months stay chez-Jerry, so it must have been doing something right.

Yes, I'm OK to move the Krell on, the Crayon is sounding stunning.

Just been up into the loft and I don't have a box big enough - amp size is 17x19 inches, so you want a few inches spare around that.
    Suggestions for a source for a suitable box?

I'm Martin.

I could post you an empty box but that sounds crazy.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread