+ Reply to Thread
Page 285 of 285 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285
Results 2,841 to 2,847 of 2847

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You have me curious.

There are no 10Hz notes in 'normal' music that I'm aware of. I suppose there could be bass sub-harmonics, but what speaker could reproduce them and would they be present in recordings anyway. Obviously a synthesiser could create a tone that low, but would anybody hear it? The usual lower limit of hearing is reckoned to be 20Hz, with some apparently able to hear down to 15Hz.

I have experienced bass that could be felt, but not heard as such. Some very big Cerwin Vega speakers demonstrated this for me many years ago.
    I understand your curiousity.

I can bang a 10Hz tone into my speakers and it will drive the bass panels bats in terms of excursion.

I can definitely hear it.

Also I have had an ML Descent sub. Could hear it on that too.

That said, both make non-10Hz noises when you do it. You could hear the rubber surrounds of the drive units in the Descent making noises due to large excursion. Like a rubbing noise.

I accept I could be wrong and have questioned it myself. I came to the conclusion I can hear 10Hz.

I will try 10Hz into the Sony's tonight.
    "On the up escalator going down all the cracks."

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I understand your curiousity.

I can bang a 10Hz tone into my speakers and it will drive the bass panels bats in terms of excursion.

I can definitely hear it.

Also I have had an ML Descent sub. Could hear it on that too.

That said, both make non-10Hz noises when you do it. You could hear the rubber surrounds of the drive units in the Descent making noises due to large excursion. Like a rubbing noise.

I accept I could be wrong and have questioned it myself. I came to the conclusion I can hear 10Hz.

they may well improve with use. a lot of cans sound crap initially, although not all.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1 - QUAD VENA 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - XS VALVE DAC - AVANTREE OASIS PLUS + LEAF HD BLUETOOTHS - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR +NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI 3 DIGIONE/VOLUMIO - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN MAIN SPKRS/Q ACOUSTIC BT3 ACTIVES & CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

Bear in mind that bass harmonics can 'fool' the mind into seemingly sensing fundamentals. In other words, what you are hearing is not the actual low note, but a harmonic thrown off by it.
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

I'm Justin.

I think the real difficulty in the 10Hz test is finding a transducer that can give you purely 10Hz and nothing else.

The Sony's improve? Nah Grant nice of you to say so, but they need a mass of EQ to sound OK and they always will to these ears. I might keep them and use them with a lot of EQ. They don't sound that bad with a lot applied

I'm Justin.

Used an Android app called Neutraliser to sort these cans out. Well worth trying very quick and simple to sort out cans with a naff frequency response.

I'm Justin.

New arrival.

I'm Justin.

The idea is to keep both for two weeks and see which ones are the least worse, then sell the worst.

The non-equalised sound of the Bose is definitely more accurate than the Sony's, which is so far off flat in beggars belief IMHO. The Bose are still bass rich, but no where near as off as the Sony's, and they also have some high frequency content rather than rolling off up top like the Sony.

The Neutraliser app just stopped working. Tried a few other equalisers and they were all duff too, in one way or another.

If anyone knows a good 10 band equaliser for Android please chime in.

+ Reply to Thread