Closed Thread
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you need a speaker crossover - discuss

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by flatpopely View Post
    I use Epos ES14s and the bass/mid has no crossover components in circuit but this is only possible because it is a bespoke driver designed for the specific application. It would be possible to choose a driver and then design a cabinet around it to acheive the same result, given the correct measurement equipment, but even the ES14 is compromised, despite having no crossover, in its lack of sensitvity. You don't get something for nothing.
    Exactly, a classic example. For me a crossover is just lazy design, or starting the job arse about face. In large speaker companies it is often "this is the WAF cabinet we want" "these are the drivers you must use as they are at the price point we need" "now design a crossover to make it work"

It is a pity Robin Marshall was only one of a very few who was willing to put in the effort to do it right.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    So why don't you refrain from starting a thread? I hardly do after being accused by someone on AoS of ramming down the throat of the buying public the sales and marketing hype of manufacturers who are after selling more goods.
    Sometimes ( most times) it is best to keep commercial sensitive information secret, and just give enough of an opinion in a quantity that most are satisfied with.
    Because Stan I am here as an individual, I am not trying to sell anything. If someone wants to buy they know where to go and what to do, that is a different matter.

I like to discuss things, even though I quite often get completely illogical or plain daft replies I find it stimulates me, sets of lateral thought patterns. That is what this thread is for as I have been thinking speakers today. Just sitting building things all day bores me to death, I have to keep trying something new to keep me alive. And in between bouts of soldering or glueing I wheel my chair to my other admin bench and have slurp of tea (which is always there as I have a 1ltr cup ), check my emails, and post or reply on forums, then back to soldering. By which time after some of the things that happen to me on forums it makes the soldering become a pleasure again.

I also have strange work hours. I work to 1am every day of the week unless on holiday, and I often dissapear out for the day during the week, and everyday if not raining I go for a walk (well more like a march) through the forest for an hour and a then couple of forms and some meditation under the trees (this ain't yer new age meditation, this is bloody hard work). Believe it or not forums are part of my sanity routine, which is why I started my own so I couldn't be booted off all of them at once

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    I am guessing Richard has not come up with a magic doping material that enables the use of one driver to be used in place of maybe 2 or more Stan, so I doubt he is pushing some new form of technology. I could be wrong though but I am sure people have been trying to do just that for decades.
    I have a couple of very magical doping materials that I have discovered. They don't cut down driver quantity, they alter driver quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bunsen Honeydew View Post
    Because Stan I am here as an individual, I am not trying to sell anything. If someone wants to buy they know where to go and what to do, that is a different matter.
    There are enough people on forums who don't believe that people like you and me have a life outside of trying to sell them something .
    I once got a thread locked and edited on wigwam after I disclosed how to make a high performance lead out of some cheap and readily available bits and bobs from the likes of Maplin.
    So even apparently simple and innocent contributions can be viewed with suspicion once it is clear that you are in the manufacturing or retail business.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bunsen Honeydew View Post
    I have a couple of very magical doping materials that I have discovered. They don't cut down driver quantity, they alter driver quality.
    The mind bending properties of hemp are well known .

I'm Richard.

The mind bending properties of hemp are well known .
    It makes good rope but not good drive units

Anyway it has all been tried before, that one by Mana according to rumour.

I'm ILOB.

We had one guy who built his own speakers by carefully matching drivers (SPS) I am not quite sure how he did it but I heard his h frame open baffles are they were bloody good but not the sexist speakers I ever seen
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    We had one guy who built his own speakers by carefully matching drivers (SPS) I am not quite sure how he did it but I heard his h frame open baffles are they were bloody good but not the sexist speakers I ever seen
    Musically it can only be done by ear.

I'm Richard.

There are enough people on forums who don't believe that people like you and me have a life outside of trying to sell them something .
    I once got a thread locked and edited on wigwam after I disclosed how to make a high performance lead out of some cheap and readily available bits and bobs from the likes of Maplin.
    So even apparently simple and innocent contributions can be viewed with suspicion once it is clear that you are in the manufacturing or retail business.
    Some do try to spam and take advantage, so we all get tarred from the same brush.

I'm Richard.

Is the argument won so easily, are there no defenders of complex crossovers and BBC style design.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast