+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Last classical concert you went to

I'm Julian.

That is one of the best recommendations I have had in a long time - checked out the Kyrie on YouTube and absolutely love it!

Will be buying the Argo / St John's Cambridge version; it's old-school, just the way I like it - organ only, no orchestra and boy's voices ...

cheers.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    Will be buying the Argo / St John's Cambridge version; it's old-school, just the way I like it - organ only, no orchestra and boy's voices
    That's the one to have, Julian. Stunning performance and sound
    Watch out for the heavy traffic rumble in some quiet passages, though.

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Watch out for the heavy traffic rumble in some quiet passages, though.
    Traffic noise afflicted quite a few Cambridge choral recordings. Kings' RVW Mass in g Minor/EMI has quite prominent noise evident in some sections. Just adds to the atmosphere . . .

I'm Roy.

Enjoyable and varied concert at the Wigmore last week.The London Conchord Ensemble playing works by Poulenc,Mozart and Beethoven.
    The Mozart a beautiful piece I did not know,his last chamber work,the Adagio and Rondo K617 originally scored for wind,strings and glass harmonica a short lived instrument invented by Benjamin Franklin now as here replaced by piano.

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Don't say that, I am so looking forward to finally seeing her live. I don't even know which concerto she'll be performing yet (but I'm secretly hoping for the Grieg or Rach's 3rd).
    If you hadn't noticed Argerich is going to play the Ravel - I'm slightly dissapointed it isn't going to be something Slavonic in flavour and I did see an excellent performance of the Ravel at the end of last year but never mind!

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    If you hadn't noticed Argerich is going to play the Ravel
    Oh well, that's a shame. Not one of my faves but I have time to get better acquainted with it. I've just checked and I have a copy played by Paul Paray and the Orchestre National Paris

Ah, I see that I also have a more promising recording by Michelangeli and the Philharmonia

I'm Julian.

Michelangeli is meant to be the classic recording ...

I'm Chris.

Default The Sage 20th January Hayden, Britten, Bartok, Beethoven

Went last night with my wife. Really interesting and varied set performed by Northern Symphonia, Nicholas McGegan conducting and Paul Lewis on piano.

1. Hayden Symphony no.85 'La Reine'
    2. Britten Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge
    3. Bartok Rumanian Folk Dances
    4. Piano Concerto no.5 'Emperor'

We're not familiar with 1-3 but we both enjoyed them in this context. May have heard them in passing on the radio but they're not in my collection. We're both big fans of the Beethoven and I have a couple of performances; a classic recording of Emil Gilels/Leopold Ludwid/Philharmonia Orchestra on Decca and Artur Pizarro/Mackerras/Scottish Chamber Orchestra on Linn.

I'm going to give my own personal opinion of these pieces. Of course, others will not agree and quite rightly so, but please, only gentle criticism if you will . Some more caveats: I do not go to a lot of classical concerts (1-2 times a year) and I do not consider myself a musical expert in any way (I can't play an instrument unless you count chopsticks with my knuckles on the piano ). I just listen and form my own opinions.

The Hayden was nice, a good starter, but not a 'great' piece IMHO (I'm sure will disagree, maybe even incensed) - I feel you often know what you're going to get from Hayden and this piece hasn't stuck in my memory. I thought NS played it very well. Mr McGegan was very animated, as he was all the way through.

The Britten was very entertaining, for me more about the texture and dynamics than the harmony (although there were some very nice bits of dotted around), more soundbites than a coherent whole (but maybe that's what was intended). I felt NS could have been just a little tighter in places (the plucked strings were a little awry), but that's only a small criticism.

The Bartok was quite brief and highly entertaining. Nice harmonies. I don't own any Bartok - I guess my main tastes lie elsewhere - but from this experience I wouldn't shy away from listening to more.

The Beethoven was very well performed. I was particularly impressed with Paul Lewis on the piano. However, for me he had to live up to the Emil Gilels performance (see above) and didn't quite match it. Not quite the same level of emotion on the slow movement, just a little too rushed in places for me - I guess I prefer it to be played at a slightly slower pace. Technically though, he seemed to be spot on.

Finally, my main (and continuing) gripe is with the acoustics in Hall 1. Please note I was sitting about 40 feet back from the stage (level 1, row Q) and I know I haven't got 'golden ears'. I find the acoustics in there a bit dead as if a little of the higher registers have been lost/removed. From upper mids down there was some lovely realism coming through (as you would expect in a live performance!), but the violin strings in particular sounded at times like MP3 instead of hi-rez FLAC. Maybe it was because I was not next to the stage. Maybe I'm just too used to the balance I hear from recorded music on my system in my room (surely it must be true to real life ). This isn't a big issue, but it is apparent to me. Thoughts anyone?

Anyway, we both really enjoyed the evening and would definitely going again to this kind of set.

Cheers...Chris
    Last edited by Chops; 21-01-2012 at 13:20.

I'm Julian.

Chris - if you fancy giving some more Bartok a try, I can recommend the Violin Concerto No 2. Saw a fantastic performance of this by Christian Tetzlaff & Essa-Pekka Salonen at the Royal Festival Hall last year ...

I'm Roy.

The Wigmore Hall again,I am lucky I only live five minutes away so it has become a regular venue,mainly for the ten pounds lunchtime concerts,this was an evening one.
    The Nash Ensemble playing Beethoven Quintet Op 16 and the Schubert Octet D803 both superb.
    The main event was Alice Coote singing Mahler's Ruckert Lieder in a version for small band by David Mathews,first three songs good then she hit Um Mitternacht absolutely beautiful,the last song the same,she seemed unsure at first I've heard her sing Schubert Lieder no problem,at least she lifted the roof at the end.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast