+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cd drives...do they make any difference to rips??

I'm Bryan.

Default cd drives...do they make any difference to rips??

I've recently started the long boring job of ripping my cd collection, and not wanting to do this again, wondered what you folks thought about cd drives.

I'm using dbPoweramp, purchased copy, and most of my music is in the Accurip database. Does this mean the rip is as good as perfect?

I think I've read on here that some prefer a higher quality cd drive than in a laptop for example, but if the rip matches accurip, how can there be any improvement to be had??

If drives do improve the quality whats a good one to go for!!

Cheers!
    RP6/RB303/Exact | V-link 192 Rega DAC | Brio R | Rega RS3

Mark Grant Supra Trico WBT 0110 Cu, Speaker Cable Tellurium Q Black, Rega Interconnect & Mains Cables

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan76 View Post
    I've recently started the long boring job of ripping my cd collection, and not wanting to do this again, wondered what you folks thought about cd drives.

I'm using dbPoweramp, purchased copy, and most of my music is in the Accurip database. Does this mean the rip is as good as perfect?

I think I've read on here that some prefer a higher quality cd drive than in a laptop for example, but if the rip matches accurip, how can there be any improvement to be had??

If drives do improve the quality whats a good one to go for!!

Cheers!
    Come out from behind the sofa

Laptop drives tend to be .......... well, rather shitty and slow.
    A better drive will rip faster, and with less read errors.
    I've had errors reported back with rips on my laptop, yet when I use the optical drive in my desktop the rip comes back fine.

If the rip matches accuraterip then it's a good as it gets - the higher the number the better, as more folks have returned the same checksum data
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

There is a big difference in the method used to play a CD and rip a CD. In fact, this difference is so important, it is being used as a copy protection method.

Whilst most PC drives are OK for ripping the first disc, many start spitting out ripping errors on subsequent rips. From my own tests I narrowed it down to the heat generated by the disc spinning at very high speed during rips. To test my theory, observe how hot the first ejected CD is compared to 2nd etc. But if you let the drive cool down, or you force it to cool down by blowing some cool air over it for a minute or two, the drive rips perfectly again.

I am not convinced that there is such thing as a bit accurate rip, mind you. The original CD medium is full or errors as it is, which are smoothed over by the Reed-Solomon error correction process during playback. I have not been able to find any definite info as to whether the R-S error correction process is implemented in part or full during the ripping process, if at all. I only know for sure that it takes place during playback.

I'm Keith.

when you rip a cd, you are copying the data bit by bit - if there are any read errors the program doing the ripping will keep re-trying until it suceeds or generates a fatal error - just like running a program from a CD-ROM - if there are any read errors, the program won't run!

When playing a cd, you don't have the luxury of many re-tries as it's all in real time - hence correction and interpolation.

If the CD rips accurately according to AccuRip, then it's accurate.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I'm with Stan here, laptop drives can be fine for the odd rip here and there, but a big project like ripping a library is best carried out by a good quality full size SATA drive IMO.

I can recommend anything made by Plextor for this task, the first one in this list I can vouch for, as I have it Plextor Drives.
    I recently ripped around 1,500 CD's and started out using a Pioneer drive which wasn't up to the task and was reporting errors in EAC and taking too long. I bought the Plextor and it has yet to miss a beat. It also handles errors a lot better than the Pioneer and with EAC's error checking my rips are excellent, even on dreadful charity shop discs.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Andy.

The majority of laptop drives are piss poor. Stay away. Use an internal 5.25" SATA drive for optimum results.

Butuz
    Quad 99 CDP-2 >> Eastern Electric Minimax Pre>> XTZ Desire AP-100 >> PMC GB1i

I'm Will.

If you only have a laptop an external USB drive is also an option...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Exte...dp_ob_title_ce

...unfortunately unavailable, but I'm sure there are other alternatives at a reasonable price, just don't go for a compact sized one...the bigger the better
    Cheers, Will

I'm Bryan.

Thanks for the comments and advice all. So far the laptop is doing ok...4 tracks on a Pearl Jam cd weren't 'accurate' according to dBpoweramp, and that's out of about 50 albums.

An external drive looks like a good investment then...love the look of those plextor drives and the samsung.
    RP6/RB303/Exact | V-link 192 Rega DAC | Brio R | Rega RS3

Mark Grant Supra Trico WBT 0110 Cu, Speaker Cable Tellurium Q Black, Rega Interconnect & Mains Cables

I haven't had any luck with external writers. My virus checker reads all incoming streams from the USB connection, which in turn slowed the whole ripping cycle down.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan76 View Post
    An external drive looks like a good investment then...love the look of those plextor drives and the samsung.
    ...there's a function in dBpoweramp settings called FBC or something (it's a TLA beginning with F) , Fast Buffer Clear or something to that effect, which is apparently a feature available in some plextor drives. It's part of the secure rip settings.

It means that when one is re-reading errors the USB buffer can be flushed more quickly to ensure the data is re-read from the disk, and not from persistent memory...it makes an accurate rip of a scratched disk a lot quicker
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast