+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chasm of Cartridges

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Default Chasm of Cartridges

Alrighty boys and girls, whip 'em out! ...yer cartridges that is, and snap a pic... all of 'em that is. No hiding carts you don't think any wants to see. It's time for the full monty.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm John.

Here are three of mine.

John
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Robert.

2M Black, great choice - the very best MM in my opinion and I've heard loads. Apparently and I say apparently as I've not had an MC but it is as good as if not better than quite a few out there. Oodles of detail retrieval from out of the vinyl, not thin sounding at all, smooth, full bodied and slightly rich. Same highly polished nude Shibata diamond as found on the highly rated Ortofon Jubilee, as such it's fussy about vta set up, just the slightest adjust with this cart can make all the difference, so take time and care to set up properly. Instruments sound life like and 3D - I love this cart !

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    Here are three of mine.

John
    oooooooooo aaahhhhhhhhhhh

Great photo, John! (nice rig, too...)
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm openingabottleofwine.

OK here are mine, the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

First the moving coils:

From left to right, back row:
    EMT TSD15 fine-line stylus (and fitted with SME adaptor); EMT TSD15, spherical tip; EMT TSD15, spherical tip in need of repair; EMT XSD15, spherical tip.
    Front row:
    Linn Asak fitted into a Fidelity Research FR-5 headshell; Denon DL103 fitted into an EMT headshell; Denon 103 fitted into an SME S2R shell; Ortofon SL15E and SL15E Mk. II, both fitted into SME S2 shells.

And now the fixed coil cartridges:

From left to right, back row:
    Decca Mk. VI (elliptical tip) with GB mounting block; Decca Mk. V (spherical tip), un mounted and in need of a service.
    Front row:
    ADC 10E Mk. IV; ADC 25 (fitted with the smaller of the elliptical stylii); ADC 26 (elliptical tip); Shure M55E; Bang and Olufson SP6 (spherical tip) and mounted in the arm in an EMT shell, a Decca Mk. V (spherical tip). All others mounted in SME S2 shells.
    Barry

No other volunteers?
    Barry

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Crikey, after that display (the word impressive doesn't even begin to cover it) I think you've slam-dunked the thread into silence ! Which is your favourite and with what arm and deck combo ?

Pete

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

Good grief Barry
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Dave.

If only I knew how to post pics...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    Crikey, after that display (the word impressive doesn't even begin to cover it) I think you've slam-dunked the thread into silence ! Which is your favourite and with what arm and deck combo ?

Pete
    Hello Pete,

It might look impressive, but believe you me there are members here who have an even larger collection of cartridges.

Also, remember I referred to them as "The Good the Bad and the Ugly". Some of them are good, some of them were good in their day, and others need either repair or servicing.

My favourites are the EMT cartridges, used either on an EMT 930 deck with 929 arm, or (with adapter) in an SME arm (either 9" or 12") on an Thorens 124/II deck. I'm also very fond of the Denon 103 (conical tip), again either in an EMT set-up or in a (damped) SME. Of the fixed-coil designs my favourites are the Deccas.

Most of my cartridges shown are quite old - most dating back to the late '70s and a couple to the very late '60s. I'm in the process of re-visiting some of these for a future article for the forum.

Compared with other members who own the likes of Koetsu, Lyra, Shelter, Transfiguration and the latest Ortofons, with the exception of the EMTs, all of my cartridges were comparitively cheap.

I have always been interested in pick-up cartridges, though I am not one of those who think that analogue and vinyl are automatically superior to digital.

Regards
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast