+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ADL router?

MartinT Guest

Microwave ovens and video senders are known to interfere with the 2.4GHz frequency band that wireless b/g/n uses.

I'm Alex.

Microwave ovens blast 700-800w around 2.4Ghz and will nuke WiFi connections if there is any problem with the shielding at all. most ovens start to leak as the door hinges or latches wear.

Agree with the comments re: PSUs going bad over time, and causing crashes, Wireless connections or intermittent lock-ups. ADSL problems also often cause intermittent connection issues with WiFi while the ADSL connection retrains,so follow the diagnostics suggested earlier.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Mike.

Can i add my 10p worth since i work for BT Broadband, 1st off unless your PC and other peripherals are N rated, then an N rated router will not give you anymore intranet speed as it will drop down to probably G, most kit works on G and it's fine, as for routers, IMHO I would get a Linksys every time, or get BT broadband and one of our new hubs which are fab too.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Microwave ovens and video senders are known to interfere with the 2.4GHz frequency band that wireless b/g/n uses.
    the new BT home hub can alter the frequency it sends and receives on to alleviate this problem

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

Everything except my PS3 is N ready although not sure about the Sonos zone bridge side of it. A dual band router seems to be a desirable feature then I did wonder about that. Oh and a new microwave
    Paul

Onkyo 875, Monitor Audio RX6 GW,Monitor audio RX centre GW,Monitor Audio BFX rears, REL QUAKE,Arcam CD73t CD ,Russ Andrews Yello mains cabling & PBJ interconnects,Sterling Black Mamba speaker cable.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by ursus262 View Post
    We use a Netgear 834Gv2 router, which is seven years old now! It works perfectly, and my hifi, pvr and Blu Ray player are all networked to it. Never had any problems with it.
    Amazingly my Netgear DG834g v2 has been switched on 24/7 for the last 6 years without a hitch and for the past 12 months has been in the airing cupboard running very warm indeed. I'm almost wanting it to break so I can get a more modern one.....

(that'll be it now though, I've just give it the kiss of death I reckon )
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Just wanted to add that I have replicated the fault 2 days in a row. I can surf all day but when i get up next morning my devices will not connect to the router despite it showing high strength. A quick reboot of the router and everything works fine. The Thomson is going back in soon till i decide on a router. Ideally £50 would have been my budget but thats looking less likely
    Paul

Onkyo 875, Monitor Audio RX6 GW,Monitor audio RX centre GW,Monitor Audio BFX rears, REL QUAKE,Arcam CD73t CD ,Russ Andrews Yello mains cabling & PBJ interconnects,Sterling Black Mamba speaker cable.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by pwood View Post
    Just wanted to add that I have replicated the fault 2 days in a row. I can surf all day but when i get up next morning my devices will not connect to the router despite it showing high strength. A quick reboot of the router and everything works fine. The Thomson is going back in soon till i decide on a router. Ideally £50 would have been my budget but thats looking less likely
    If rebooting works, why not put a time switch on the router mains to switch off overnight - say 2am to 6am? A time switch is a lot cheaper than a router - I've picked up several from B & Q bins at £1 each in the last few years. Might give you months or even years of extra life!

Have you checked the firmware yet? Otherwise sounds as though it's working OK from the speed tests. Sometimes problems are due to DNS failures (quite common) or occasionally IP address conflicts. Could be due to DHCP leases expiring also. Some routers don't do DHCP well, so maybe consider static IPs.
    Dave

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGig View Post
    Amazingly my Netgear DG834g v2 has been switched on 24/7 for the last 6 years without a hitch and for the past 12 months has been in the airing cupboard running very warm indeed. I'm almost wanting it to break so I can get a more modern one.....

(that'll be it now though, I've just give it the kiss of death I reckon )
    Oh, it's absolutely wonderful. It goes on and on and on.... but like some of the people on this forum

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by pwood View Post
    One thing that I wonder if its related is the fact my SONOS stutters when playing music when the microwave is on. Is this the router? or Sonos related as i can surf the internet without any issue.
    Today I was playing with a wireless access point - which I finally got working up to speed, after a period during which it was really, really grindingly slow - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-W...9549126&sr=1-3

At one point I was trying to make a phone call using a cordless phone, and I noticed that the phone had glitches every time I changed the web page. The phone and the access point were rather close at the time, so obviously there can be interactions. It seems likely that phones can also interfere with wireless streaming data.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast